Where Cats do Yoga


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
July 9th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So this is India, where even the cats do yoga. This pose is called

Lick your Asana



Had a chance to get out today and see something of Chennai. Include in this blog are some photos here are of Marina Beach.

People were out buying fish, just yanked out of the sea early that morning.

In Chennai, the tsunami came ashore here. Just up the beach (a few feet away) was a shanty settlement. The homes are loosely constructed of mud, some bricks, and straw roofs. The tsunami would have completely obliterated the homes. You can still see some of the rubble.

Marina beach was fascinating. Further up the beach was a whole section where zillions of Indian boys were playing cricket. Lots of scremin’, legs and arms flailing around and cricket balls (actually tennis balls) coming at you like a rein of scud missiles. I cannot describe what bedlam it was. There must have been fifty games going on along a short section. I have no idea, how the guys knew which ball belonged to which game - or in fact which game they belonged to! I was glad to get out of there with my life.


Stopped by to see St. Thomas. He was preoccupied, so I took a peek at his church. This is one of three basilicas in the world said to be built over an apostle of Jesus.

This one is for Thomas - you know the doubting variety. I doubt you knew that. Are you doubting me?? Okay enough of that - the point is this where Doubting Thomas is said to be buried. Got hassled by touts and rickshaw drivers, so I beat a hasty retreat.

Speaking of rickshaw drivers… man are the city’s drivers are a tough bunch to haggle with. They name their price and there’s no way to move them. Oh well, it ends up being only a couple of bucks and it’s a great way to see the city.

The Vedanta movement has deep history in Chennai. Swami Vivekanander returned to India via Chennai, from the World Conference on Religion in the 1800’s. He was a major figure in pushing India’s resurgence of spirituality inside and outside the country.

This place is the Ramakrishna Math (Matt??) temple where people of any faith can gather to practise their faith and find some peace. This place was built in honour of Swami Viv’s teacher - I can’t remember his name. The place was very cool, lot’s of monks wandering around the joint. Didn’t take a ton of pics, the light was pretty harsh. Also saw the Ice house, which is where Swamy V. stayed while in Madras (Chennai). The building/museum was great. The building was constructed originally to store ice. An entrepreneurial American (there’s a surprise) made a fortune by shipping ice from America to India. He stored it in buildings like this one: deep foundation, large semi circular structure, little ventilation. The Brits had to have their gin martinis chilled, stirred and of course not shaken right?

Tired of writing now. I've posted a bunch of other photos. Have fun.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th July 2006

Where Cats do Yoga
That cat pose really did wonders for my spirit on a monday morning.....too funny!!. The photos were great as well. Glad to hear you're keeping well and love reading about your adventures. Take care, Janine.
10th July 2006

Hey Jay - glad to hear you are having fun!! - can you pull the same pose as the cat --hahah---talk to you... nins...
13th July 2006

Hey Jay, Nice to read your latest update and see the photos - Jazzy and Josh loved the cat's pose - keep on sending updates. Will try and call this weekend. Take care, Poppy, Rai, Jazzy and Josh

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb