annoyed in hosur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
January 11th 2006
Published: January 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Col & GrandchildrenThe Col & GrandchildrenThe Col & Grandchildren

Here I am with the Col and his very sweet grandchildren. In retrospect (and reading this from the perspective of being home), I overreacted to the Col. I was tired and lost my perspective. His family was lovely and very generous.
hi everyone,
please don't mind the lack of capital letters, as the shift key is stuck on this computer keyboard. i'm not really complaining tho, as the internet connection is working and is actually broadband...what a treat! i'm in an internet cafe, well, that would be putting it too nicely...it is a dusty hole in the wall, but it has broadband access, so i'll take it! you remember when i said that i would tell everything...even when things weren't so great...well, that's what this blog is going to be.

last night, i had to go into the bathroom and silently scream in the mirror. i was so frustrated and annoyed i could barely maintain my composure. we arrived in hosur last night...it is an industrial and manufacturing city on the way to banglore...a huge bustling city. our hosts are always men, as there are few women rotarians, but one of our hosts here really takes the cake. for the most part, even tho generally women have a different status here, the men here have been wonderful...respectful and warm, treating us very well.

well, one of our hosts here is a retired Col. in the indian army and i don't
Hosur Host FamilyHosur Host FamilyHosur Host Family

Mike, Ryan and I stayed with the Col's daughter and her husband and two children in Hosur. They are both doctors, such nice people and have a lovely home (I'll attach another photo of it). This pic was taken on their staircase after the women dressed me up for our presentation.
know how to put it delicately, so i'll just frankly say that he is a jerk--that's of course the edited version. i'm staying with mike and ryan in the Col's son's home...another palace...wait til you see the pics...oh, and they are christains so jesus and mary are everywhere rather than the hindu gods...it is weird, as i've gotten used to the hindu dieties and they make me feel at home. (i'm asking ganesh to save me from the Col!)

back to the Col. he was bossy, condescending and only interested in mike and ryan. in fact, he cut me off a couple of times in front of a room full of people. he would not let us small talk with others in the room, grilled mike and ryan and ignored me for two hours before finally allowing his daughter-in-law to serve dinner. by then, i was so pissed off i could hardly be pleasant, but of course i was very pleasant...just ask mike...poor guy, he sooo wanted to save me.

So, we ate another dinner at 10:00 at night and didn't get to bed until 12:30 or so. We have repeatedly asked for it to be earlier to
Hosur Host HomeHosur Host HomeHosur Host Home

This was our beautiful home in Hosur. Doesn't look much like India, does it?
no avail. i know they want to chat with us and are very interested in us, but last night, the vibe was different...it really was yucky. Oh, and everyone is sick but me. Ryan has bronchitis, Maggie seems to have those symptoms tho milder, Deb has a sore throat and Mike has started feeling poorly. Between the general uncleanliness of India and my teammates, I'm feeling like i'm surrounded by the plauge....i should have taken out stock in wet wipes and hand sanitizer before i left the country!

when i finally got to bed, exhausted and upset, i cried for awhile...it was the only way to move the yucky energy...i can't run (women can't be out by themselves and there is never time in our schedule anyway) and i can't scream, so crying had to do. and i'm much better today...even tho we spent the day with the Col bossing us around. We went to two really fascinating places...i'll say more about that in a minute. Funny thing is, the Col said to his co-host in the car after our tours, "I think even the women enjoyed our visits today." Good god (not sure whether I mean hindu or christain)...save me from this guy. fortunately, we're leaving tomorrow and are going back in the care of our former hosts...i can't wait!

i'm going to send this blog and write more...just in case. more in a minute...

Advertisement



12th January 2006

Dear Annoyed
Hey Jody - Thanks for the candor. That's one of the things I love about you. I have been enjoying your writings. You are a great writer! I'm sure you made it though the Col. and are on to new adventures. I'm sending you healthy vibes too. Love, Noel

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb