Sri Ramachandra Hospital


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chennai
March 6th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dedicated to Jaspreet Laly - RIP!!

Day 2 didn't live up to its ideal expectations, as the morning became another waiting game. I had to see my supervising Registrar, who would be coordinating my elective experience at the hospital. After being sent to a few varied locations around the Ramachandra Campus, with copius time available to review my inner sanctum, i finally got to meet the tutor! Her name was Dr. Sujatha, and she seemed very friendly indeed. I was basically told of the prospective routine that i would follow, as part of the General Medicine team. This would involve outpatient visits, Ward rounds, Clinics, Journal clubs, and student teaching sessions.

Some insight into Sri Ramachandra Hospital; This was India's first private teaching hospital set up by Shri N.P.V. Ramasamy in 1985. His objective was to create a hospital institution capable of catering for all people around Chennai, irrespective of class. This institution would also provide cutting edge teaching for students, and thus became recognised as a university in 1994.
The hospital has two separate main buildings. One building is reserved for patients with medical care under insurance, whilst the other building are for people who cannot afford any medical care costs. The latter building thus becomes an ideal place for medical students to learn about all the various clinical signs and symptoms. It is in this building where i will be based primarily.

Day 2 ended with relief. I never thought i would say this...but i was eternally grateful to finally hear some medical terminology at the Journal Club, after 2 frustrating days around the campus. The Senior doctors however seemed rather harsh on their junior colleagues during the presentations. Fine detailed analysis was put forward on every comment made by the juniors, who gradually had their confidence wittled out minute by minute. The old school method of teaching is definitely still alive in this hospital!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb