India Recap: Another Fantastic Trip


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
December 10th 2012
Published: December 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Working HardWorking HardWorking Hard

We spotted this guy as we drove through the mountains on our way to Jaipur.
Our travels were wonderful and exciting and, frankly, I could go back tomorrow. Kyle and Dad were ready to return home, but only because they are always ready to return home after a certain amount of time.

My favorite part of the journey was, obviously, the Pushkar Camel Fair. This was a highlight not only because of all the camels, but because we were able to spend so much time there. Being in the same place for about a week was very relaxing and allowed us to really get a feel for the community. Camp Bliss was wonderful and the food was mouth watering.

Surprisingly enough, the fair also made the top of Kyle's and Dad's highlight list. Kyle said a close second place was going to the Golden Temple near the Pakistani Border.

We wrapped up the trip without much issue and kept wondering when something negative would happen--everything just went so well. The second-to-last night we were in India, Kyle and Dad were struck with a horrible case of food poisoning. It was pretty shocking since none of us had any issue with the food up to this point and on that particular day, we had eaten both breakfast and lunch in a 5 star restaurant.

The sickness hit the night before we flew back to Delhi and lingered until we flew to the States. Everyone is fine and if there was going to be any issue with illness, this was the perfect time for it as we were wrapping up the trip.

The interesting part of the story was that Dad was not healing as quickly as I would have liked and, quite honestly, seemed to be getting worse, so I had the hotel call for a doctor. The doctor came to our room, assessed Dad, wrote up a treatment plan and prescribed some meds. The entire service cost $28!

And if that did not give you sticker shock, the six different medications that he prescribed, that were delivered to our room, cost $6. (Please note, paying to use the wifi in our room cost much more than $6!)

In fact, when the concierge at the hotel said they could call for a doctor, they said "We can get a doctor for your father, but it will cost 1,400." Kyle's response was "$1,400???" And the concierge, laughing uncontrollably like Kyle was
My Dream BoutiqueMy Dream BoutiqueMy Dream Boutique

After we left Pushkar, we drove by the Camel Charisma store.
insane, said, "No, 1,400 Rupees!" Apparently, this concierge had never been to an ER in the United States!

The one other interesting cost issue that came out of the whole food poisoning situation had to do with orange juice. I had been begging dad and Kyle to drink fluids and just try to eat a little something. Finally, they both agreed that a glass of orange juice sounded appetizing. Desperate to find anything that they would consume and wanting to make the process happen quickly, I ran down to the fancy restaurant at this hotel and asked to order two glasses of orange to take back to the room.

If there is one thing we learned on this trip, it was that nothing is simple in India. Apparently, orange juice is no different. The hostess at the restaurant informed me, I must go back to my room and order it via room service. I dutifully did this and the juice was delivered and the guys gulped it down to report that it was the best orange juice they had ever tasted. I informed them, "it should be, it cost $10 per glass!"

While they were sleeping I found a shi-shi grocery store that sold Gatorade (less than $1 per bottle), so they were able to re-hydrate without depleting the bank account.

Easy for me to say, because I stayed healthy throughout, but the illness happened at the very end of the trip and did not define the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

In the Courtyard in JaipurIn the Courtyard in Jaipur
In the Courtyard in Jaipur

Sporting our new scarves from the local marketplace.
Happy Diwali!Happy Diwali!
Happy Diwali!

What shock we felt when we landed in Chicago...what are all these lights? What is with these trees? What is this music playing? Oh yeah, it is almost Christmas! We had been too focused on celebrating Diwali to remember Christmas is around the corner!
Wash Racks Before the Cattle ShowWash Racks Before the Cattle Show
Wash Racks Before the Cattle Show

Looks like it could be the American Royal, but it is at Pushkar.
Camp Bliss "Graffiti"Camp Bliss "Graffiti"
Camp Bliss "Graffiti"

We came back to camp one afternoon and found one of the staff members painting this on the wall.
So Many Camels You Can't Even WalkSo Many Camels You Can't Even Walk
So Many Camels You Can't Even Walk

This is also known as "heaven."
Fuel for the FireFuel for the Fire
Fuel for the Fire

There were constantly people gathering camel and cow manure to use as fuel. The dung was laid out to dry and then used in the camp fires all around the fair. Around 4 pm everyday, the air was thick with smoke from these tiny fires.


11th December 2012

No, you can't be done!
I have had so much fun watching your trip! Glad you are all back safely (and healthy), but these posts will be missed.
11th December 2012

Welcome home!
Glad you are safely home. Sorry about the illness at the end. I HATE those experiences! Wonderful travelblog. I loved the handsome little camel gang! Greetings from Missouri. I'm in Independence until the 16th. And what Christmas gift did you bring home for YOUR camel?
11th December 2012

Siwa's Christmas Surprises from Pushkar
David wants to know what Siwa will be getting for Christmas...maybe we will do a Christmas Blog Special with photos of Siwa with all his new accoutrements! There may have been a suitcase full of decorations just for Siwa!!
12th December 2012

Love the final blog!!!
12th December 2012

Love the final blog!!!
12th December 2012
Tired Little Guy Leaning on Mom

Look at those eyelashes!
Although, if encountered a camel and an elephant at the same time, I think the elephant would capture my heart. I'm uncertain though how your parents and grandparents would have reacted to you bringing a couple of "pet" elephants to the farm... Thank you for the blog. I've read them erratically as I could grab a minute but the postings were fun, informative and a gift. Thanks. rr
12th December 2012
Party Animal

Ha!
That's funny. :-)
14th December 2012

Thanks!
Great stories and photos!!!
3rd January 2013

Miss you, old pal
Buy yourself a freakin camel already!! Lol!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb