India -part 2 Rajastan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan
April 12th 2006
Published: May 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a few very hot days in Delhi, i escaped to Rajasthan. This was not the best plan to get out of the heat as it turned out because most of Rajastan is desert and very hot indeed. well, at least there is no traffic!
Went to a few places here. Jaisalmer, Mount Abu to cool off in the hills, Udiapur to see the Lake Palace, learn some Yoga and generally chill out. then Jaipuir, Jodpur and finally back to Delhi. HOw long did i spend there. in total 2 weeks and a lot of overnight bus rides!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Camel ride in the desertCamel ride in the desert
Camel ride in the desert

Well after looking at the yellow fort( which is good too but no pictures)what was i to do in the evenings. a camel ride into the desert, what else! It is a good job that i cant upload the video fotage of me walking after 2.5 hours riding a camel.
The HillsThe Hills
The Hills

After Jaisalmer, the hottest part of the desert, nearly 50degress i escaped to the hill stations, as they are known here. Mt Abu - the Indian tourist mecca for north indians escaping the heat.
Spiritual centreSpiritual centre
Spiritual centre

Mt Abu attracts lots of religious types. This centre was actually very interesting. It concluded that Shiva is the only true God - you heared it here first!
The sunsetThe sunset
The sunset

the sunsets here were just amazing!
JodpurJodpur
Jodpur

This city is famous for their Rajput FOrt. From the fort you can seen the local houses that are painted blue. it is a good insect repellent apparently.
The Lake PalaceThe Lake Palace
The Lake Palace

The main attraction in the middle of the lake is the palace. made famous in the late 1970's bond film Octopussy. it was such a landmark film here that most of the cafes show the film daily, still ! after 30 years of play, the video tape(betamax) is getting a bit worn.
Yoga ClassYoga Class
Yoga Class

Since i was here for a few days i thought i would try some yoga. i figured that if i was terrible, no one would know me and i would never see these people again. just imagine my suprise when my instructor thought i was so good(see picture) that he invited me to take the class.
JaipurJaipur
Jaipur

the most famous market facade in the city.
Monkey TempleMonkey Temple
Monkey Temple

no, the picture is not of me!i had the choice of visiting the rat temple or the monkey temple. you can guess which one i chose. the entire temple was over run with monkeys, whom are maintained and fed by a band of monks.


8th May 2006

Hi rakesh sounds like your having an amzing time in india, you have been all over the place and done tons of cool stuff. i'm in Tucson visiting matt at the moment. i arrived on thursday and we had a great weekend swimming and climbing. its pretty hot here, not as hot as India at this time of year though! i'm off up to washington state this evening to go and do field work, not mine though. i'm back on 20th and matt and i are off to Mexico. matt is back in the uk on 18th June, when are you back? cu annexx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb