All dried out


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
April 11th 2005
Published: May 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Kama sutraKama sutraKama sutra

Kama sutra carving which we found in the Jagdish temple, Udaipur

A romantic city...?


We left Bombay with a smile on our faces excited to get to the next stop, Udaipur. Known to be India's most romantic city, with the magical lake Pichola dividing the city in two parts. At least that was until about 6 years ago when it stopped raining so now it's totally dried up. Despite this, it was a very beautiful city with impressive temples such as the Jagdish temple which was carved out of one huge piece of marble and lots of postcard sunset views especially from the Monsoon Palace.

We stayed in a hostel called 'Mewar inn' dubbed as

a very nice place to stay

except it was located on the outskirts of town. It had two beds, one sofa, satellite TV, hot shower and a private bathroom for the reasonable price of 70pence pppn, on top of that we got one day off and 10%!d(MISSING)iscount with Erik's hostelling int. card. I still can't believe how cheap everything is...

Unfortunately my hospital bed wasn't as cheap when I fell ill for a few days with severe stomach ache, I couldn't eat or drink and I felt like my stomach was being constantly punched. Thankfully, after 3 days stay, a few X-Rays and tests, I'm now back n' kickin' up dust, the doctor reckons I had some kind of minor parasite infection.

As a treat we went to see "Octupussy" which was filmed in Udaipur, and was showing at every other hotel and restaurant.
We spent all together 11 days in Udaipur and the last day we saw a dance show and a puppet master that was very enjoyable.


And a three day affair


The stop in Jodhpur was a last minute decision and three days in the blue city was just about right. It was a very beautiful place to look at from far away but once inside, it was way too busy with it's narrow and overpopulated streets.

Erik's always enjoyed visiting castles & forts, and Rajasthan seems like the place to be. Every town appears to have a place worth visiting but the Meherangarh fort in Jodhpur was in a league of it's own. Like something taken out of "The lord of the rings".

Why the blue city?
Blue is the colour of the brahmins, the highest caste. The king of Jodhpur made all the brahmins build their houses on the only side of the cliff where an attack was possible. The brahmins are the priest caste and therefore too holy to kill so despite many tries the fort still stands it's ground.

Tourism is something that started quite recently in Jodhpur and you can really tell that they're not used to a white face, even less a black african. The way they stare really gets to you, even the dogs seems to turn their faces.

On the night before we left, we got dragged into a street festival (see pic). I was a bit worried when about 20 people dragged me away trying to get me to dance in the street and with about 10 more people trying to grab my wallet and camera, it was a bit much but became funny as we moved further along the street.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

World's biggest turbanWorld's biggest turban
World's biggest turban

Location: Bagore-ki-Haveli, Udaipur
Meherangarh Fort, JodhpurMeherangarh Fort, Jodhpur
Meherangarh Fort, Jodhpur

It's a long way to go when u don't know where u goin'


23rd May 2005

huh! ok now i understand how this thing works...
Ok so I finally have seen where to click to add a comment! Yes call me dumb if you want! Looks like you're still having a top time which is great1 I am sorry to hear you got ill - but I guess thats all part of it! Stay alive 'still trippin' - take care Tom x - Tom
24th May 2005

Hello Jodphur
Hey just wanted to say hi and I still remember you - just busy making sure I'm famous enough to be able to give you a job when (and if!) you come back! Keep on truckin (or whatevers appropriate...) - ANTMAN
25th May 2005

Sounds like your having fun, minus the illnesses
Hey wow, am so jealous of all the place you have been! Have more fun!!Jem - Jemma

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb