Wanderings in India - 7 - Udaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
November 21st 2013
Published: November 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation - LaLit Laxmi Vilas Palace

Weather - Sunny & blue skies - 28C

During our journey to Udaipur we stopped at Ranakpur the site of one of the largest Jain temple complexes in India. Set within the wooded hillside of the Aravallis mountains the central Chaumukha Temple was built in 1439, and is in stunning condition, composed of 29 halls supported by 1,444 ornately carved marble pillars, none of which are alike.

On our journey we also saw examples of rural indian life, with an oxen-operated persian style water wheel, a camel carrying dried sugar cane stalks, a village water pump and a visit to a Bishnoi village. The Bishnoi tribe follow strict conservational religious beliefs, protecting the flora and fauna, strict vegetarians and live in tidy small hamlets. The married women wear ornamental nose rings.

Udaipur has a stunning location, set on the shores of Lake Pichola and surrounded by the Aravallis hills. The City Palace dominates the town with balconies, towers and cupolas towering over the lake. There is an interesting museum with amazing paintings and later photographs of historical scenes, Maharani, elephants and royal hunting scenes. Within the palace there are other exquisite rooms - the Manek Mahal (Ruby Palace) with beautiful 19th century mirror work. There are fine views over Lake Pichola from the Palace ramparts especially looking at the apparently floating glistening white Summer Royal Palace which has now been converted to the exclusive Lake Palace Hotel.

Outside the confines of the Palace there are alleys and backstreets filled with the usual throng of pedestrians, holy cows, auto-rickshaws etc - and lined by small open-fronted shops, food stalls and restaurants.

We have now come to the end of the forts and palaces group tour, having had a wonderful trip around Rajasthan, seeing innumerable fantastic sights and experiences. Tomorrow we fly, via Delhi, to the holy city of Varanasi. We look forward to another amazing Indian experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Chaumukha Temple - RanakpurChaumukha Temple - Ranakpur
Chaumukha Temple - Ranakpur

One of the most important Jain Temples in India


23rd November 2013

Oh dear it's back to reality
3 degrees and scraping the car all week Pictures are great, such a blue sky and colours so vibrant Peter, did you know that you missed MTH at Newcastle City Hall last week, on zimmers!! Have a good trip back Speak soon

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb