Land of hills and lakes


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
January 15th 2010
Published: January 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hurtling through time and space in a coffin shaped enclosure brings thoughts of life and death to mind. Perched high in our double sleeper bed of the night coach to Udaipur I fleetingly contemplated joining the 4 or 5 metre high club. Briefly. The kamikaze bus driver made sleep well nigh impossible so you might need to do something else with your time. I keep forgetting that we do have an ipod loaded with stories which took us four weeks to work out how to turn on! Winnie where are you when we need you?

The hotel Rangniwas came highly recommended by our previous hotelier, and the fact that it came with hot and cold running dachshunds was just a wonderful bonus! The pool from the sitting balcony looks so inviting but the winter warmth here is not enough to warrant a dip. We wrap ourselves with blankets and scarves and watch an outdoor dance spectacular. We wander through the town, and view all from the cable car station, a visit to which makes our stay in Udaipur complete apparently. We made our way out to a constructed tribal village called Shilpgram in a severely clapped out tuk-tuk to view some ethnic dancing. Because of the Makar Sankranti a few troupes had come in from neighbouring areas and instead of seeing whirling kites we were treated to some stunning performances in traditional dress.

After our first argument during the trip over a miniature painting we decided to go all out and purchased 3 different ones and had them framed. One of these was ' a little warmer than was any absolute necessity for.' This lovely phrase we had seen in reference to Khajuraho's erotica. So....any extra work will come in handy when we get home! Graeme might fund these with another exhibition so watch out!

Wondering whether we really could see yet another palace, ho hum, we reluctantly left our rooftop breakfast spot and headed off to see some more ornate sparkling halls. It was worth it. Each one we see seems to surpass the last. The Rajputs certainly knew how to create ornamentation and ostentation.
Mahal after mahal opened up off twisting passageways, each one more superb than the last. I just hope the photos convey some of its glory.




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

City PalaceCity Palace
City Palace

Only 2.5 kms long!
Local musician Local musician
Local musician

Beggars' Festival Day
Cultural eveningCultural evening
Cultural evening

Dancing asking for water


21st January 2010

Still enjoying your stories. I'm away now myself skiing so I'll look forward to catching up on bloggs on my return
3rd May 2015
Another dachshund

I love dachshunds!
The only thing better than a view with breakfast, is a view AND a doggie with breakfast :)
3rd May 2015
Another dachshund

Dachsies!
We share a weakness!

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 22; qc: 103; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb