Udaipur - palace museum


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
September 4th 2018
Published: September 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

One of the reasons we picked the hostel we are staying at is because it got such good reviews, particularly about its amazing breakfast. We were, therefore, particularly disappointed to find it rather poor. Served on the lovely rooftop between 8-10am we arrived around 9ish to discover some cornflakes, toast, toasties and one omelette left. Stephen had the omelette and despite the fact lots of other people were turning up they didn’t make anymore. This is particularly frustrating as there are loads of cheap cafes serving much better looking breakfasts all around us.



After eating (and getting cross that the WiFi kept bumping me off stopping me from updating the travel blog) we walked over to the palace. As soon as you get near it every shop front is selling leather, pashminas, tailor made clothes or paintings. The sellers are much more friendly than in other places we’ve been but it still takes a surprisingly long time getting past them all.



We found that the palace museum is reasonably priced at 300 rupees and you can get an audio guide or person guide for a reasonable price. Wanting to go at our own pace we decided against getting one. The start of the museum was packed but the crowds seemed to thin as we continued on our way round (I’m not sure where they all went but I think many must miss a lot of the side galleries).

We really enjoyed the museum. There’s plenty of information about who built it, when and why. The stables are still there - some are being used as offices whilst the rest still have horses in them! The views from the roof are stunning and it was interesting seeing the side galleries including paintings (particularly of elephant fighting), silver (including many photos of our royal family) and textiles.

It took us about 3 hours to look around it all which is much longer than it takes most people!



We managed to find a nice rooftop restaurant for a Rajasthani Thali. Unsurprisingly the places with the best views are much more expensive than those slightly back from the lake.



Post lunch we went for a wonder along the city walls and then across to see Fateh Sagar Lake, came back to Pichola Lake via Brahmpole Gate and went down to Ambrai Ghat to watch the sunset. The views from this Ghat are spectacular. You can see the palace across the water and the Lake Palace Hotel (as featured in James Bomds Octopussy). It felt very romantic despite being collared by a very nice artist who managed to persuade us to look at his work over some tea (we didn’t buy anything as we don’t agree of which ones are nicest and they’re rather expensive).


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Palace museumPalace museum
Palace museum

View of the lake palace hotel (as seen in James bonds Octopussy)
Palace museumPalace museum
Palace museum

We finally found working fountains!


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb