They'rrrrrreeeee Grrrrrrrreat!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Ranthambhore National Park
April 17th 2006
Published: April 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A Jungle CatA Jungle CatA Jungle Cat

Could have left you all looking but it's in the circle!!!
Ranthambhore National Park. Home to 50 or so real live Tigers and a thousand or so tourists, here for the hope of catching a glimpse of Tony the Tiger. What are the odds in seeing one then? Well one couple we spoke to had been 5 times and hadn't even seen a discarded box of frosties. How was our luck??

Safari One: like any good adventure film, starts well. A Tiger print! "Fresh this morning" the guide tells us. 20 mintues later. No Tiger. But have Deer instead. I don't know much about nature but Deer wouldn't be standing around grazing if a Tiger was lying among them. 10 minutes later, a dead Deer. With a huge hole in the side of its belly. No confirmation of what did it, but fingers are crossed. 20 minutes later. The trail has gone cold again. Rest of safari spent driving aroud with hope - but no end result. Plenty of Deer, Antelopes, Water Buffalo, Monkeys, stunning scenery and at the end a Jungle Cat but no Tiger.

Safari Two: was crap. The 'guide' was more interested in chatting with his mates on other canters than doing his job. No tiger, just
The Indian Spotted DeerThe Indian Spotted DeerThe Indian Spotted Deer

Looking like it means business!
the animals and the small bonus of a jackal.

Safari Three: Now in this safari we are given the daddy of all guides. The other two would stop for the deer and buffalo, but not this guy, sped right past them. And we all knew that this guy meant business. And then, sleeping on a rock, there she was. Toni the tigeress. Completelly oblivious to the tourists climbing over themselves to get a glimpse, she lay napping for a good 10 minutes before deciding to get up and go to higher ground, away from the annoying humans. Now she was sat a good few feet away, but she looked massive and a fantastic creature. David Attenborough eat your heart out!!

Job done. 3rd time lucky, a glimpse of a tiger and we left Ranthambhore happy and heading towards the final stop in India, Mumbai.


*** Proof! you shout! Where is the pic of a tiger? Well it needs editing, which I can't do on this computer! But it will come! ***


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Another scenery pic!Another scenery pic!
Another scenery pic!

Might send this one into National Geographic!!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb