Pushkar Fair: A Fitting Memorial


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 11th 2016
Published: November 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The last time we were at Pushkar, we received a message that Uncle Ray had passed away while we were traveling. We were sad to lose a dear member of the family, but philosophical about the cycle of life. To honor his memory we placed flowers in the sacred Pushkar Lake.

Four years later and here we are again at this holy place of pilgrimmage when we get a message from home that Uncle Max had passed away.

We made the decision to again pay our respects by buying flowers in the Pushkar market and placing them in the scared Pushkar Lake to honor Uncle Max. As we thought about the loved ones that had recently passed through our life, we realized we had also said goodbye to some other dear family members.

On our last trip, we received notice that Grandma Ted (Theola) had passed away. We missed her memorial service because of our travels and, therefore missed the chance to properly pay our respects.

Only days before we left on our last trip, Grampy (Grandpa George) also passed away.

The plan was made to honor all three of these family members at the lake, but in a highly spontaneous moment we drastically changed this plan and I am so happy we did.

For several days our walk took us on the southern loop of the lake where it is considered so sacred you must remove your shoes to even walk on the bridge. At the end of the bridge there are usually some devotees praying and some pilgrims preparing to enter the lake. We always lingered a bit at the end of the bridge becasuse this is where we put our shoes back on our feet.

On our last evening in Pushkar, following the same routine along the auspicious part of the lake, a woman offered to sell us fresh cut cane sprouts to use for an offering in our worship. As we did with everyone offering to sell us something, we said "no."

Then dad got the greatest idea...he suggested we buy the fresh foliage here at the sacred part of the lake and feed some of these hungry calves we see walking around town to honor those loved ones that we recently lost.

I just loved the idea and I am certain Uncle Max, Grampy and Grandma Ted would be so happy to know their memory meant that three hungry calves had a hearty dinner in Pushkar. I suppose I do not need to mention how happy those calves were when we spotted them, untied the greens and scratched their backs while they had dinner.

A very fitting memorial for people who we cared so much about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Belle of the BallThe Belle of the Ball
The Belle of the Ball

One of the cattle herders had these red roses on each animal in his herd. I thought they just looked fabulous.
Keeping WarmKeeping Warm
Keeping Warm

It is winter in Pushkar, but it is sill not cold by our standards. We walk by these cattle each morning. They have blankets on and we are wiping sweat off our brows!


15th November 2016

Tributes
No more fitting tribute for farmers/ranchers who loved their rural roots and were so good at their vocations! A fine memorial.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb