Pushkar mela


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 6th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pushkar camel fairPushkar camel fairPushkar camel fair

Big wheels in India!
We have arrived in India and it is wonderful!
We spent one night in Delhi, which wasn't as scary as I had thought. Got onto a train to Pushkar next mornig. That was amazing in itself. We booked the tickets at the airport and then next morning at 6 o'clock there were our names on the list outside of the carriage. During the 7 hour trainride we were served tea three times, omlett on toast, ornage juice and bottled water. The seat were really comfy and we had a nice chat with a family from Assam.
Arriving in Ajmer (nearest trainstation to Pushkar) we were well blessed with some hotel owner who was looking to find guests for his place in Pushkar (note: this last weekend there was a huge camel fair in Pushkar, which Helen had told us about just before we left England and the town is normally booked out in advance)
The hotel is lovely and peaceful and even has a swimmingpool. Peaceful that is until someone decides to turn the volume of some streetmusic up and there is no quiet until 5 in the morning. That is India for you. But we have caught up on some sleep by now and got over the jet lag.
The camel fair itself was like out of 1001 arabian nights. Lots of fancyful decorated camels, lots of stalls selling everything and lots of food. A wild concert of smells: incense, smoke form the many small fires of the food stalls, dust, cardamon, fried food, and very human body smells... , Also the sound of many thousand small bells on ankle bracelets of the indian ladies.
Music both live and played on tinny stereos.
Lots of indian children asking us " Excuse me, what is your name? Where you from?"
The women in Rajasthan dress very colourfully and are beautiful to look at.
Another positive note: there are hardly any mozzies around and belly wise we are ok (very good as our health insurance only starts today...)



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sunset cafeSunset cafe
Sunset cafe

Westener gone native


6th November 2006

Great to hear you arrived safely!
Lovely to hear from you chaps! The pictures are amazing! I am feeling the pangs of jealousy welling up! We look forward to hearing regular reports on your travels. Hope your bellies stay regular, Simon and Miriam
6th November 2006

COOOOOOOLLLLL!
Looks amazing! awesome! have been back in sweden 1 week and snowing! Enjoy the sunshine and heat . big hugs, fiona and phil
6th November 2006

Hello 6/11/06
Hi guys. so pleased you got there safe and are well. The travel blog is great and the photos, you have described things so well we felt as if we were there too! Nick remembers the smells all to well!! Look forward to reading more, take good care, you're in our thoughts and prayers, Love Rachel and Nick xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb