Trip round Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
January 27th 2010
Published: January 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ancient and ModernAncient and ModernAncient and Modern

Autorickshaw, our car and fort in the distance
Jodhpur is the second largest city in the state of Rajastan and is domninated by the Mehrangarh Fort which was described by Rudyard Kipling as "The creation of angels, fairies and giants." Construction started in the 15th century and was added to between the 17th and 19th centuries. Towering over the city, it has magnificent views over the city and the houses below, all higgledy piggledy and painted blue: a) to repel the terrible summer heat which goes up to 50 degrees and b) to repel the mosquitoes. Our guide took through the crazy streets of the Sardar Bazaar: women with great loads on their heads, rickshaws, cars, cows etc etc, the dentist sitting on the ground pulling teeth and the barbers sitting on the ground shaving their clients. We entered a five storey building - floor after floor of silks and cottons of every imaginable pattern and colour and we were "persuaded" to buy a lovely light and warm Pashmina throw for our bed at home. Back to our hotel for afternoon tea and chocolate cake on the lawn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Blue is the colourBlue is the colour
Blue is the colour

Blue washed houses around Mehrangarth Fort
Colourful sarisColourful saris
Colourful saris

Whilst touring around the fort we came across a family sporting the family colours!
Afternoon teaAfternoon tea
Afternoon tea

Tea and cakes on the hotel lawn


31st January 2010

hot temperatures
Hello.....is there any thought of the winter in Totnes while you are experiencing such heat in India? Of course you're on holiday so you have no need to think of the cold you left behind. We are at last getting a spot of summer here which is long overdue. Loved the sound of your Pashmina...hope it keeps you warm when you get home. Cheers, from the Kiwis.
31st January 2010

heat and cold
The sunshine and warmth look so inviting - went to morning service at St Mary's this morning and we all nearly froze to death! Heating was on but it has been very cold recently, making the poor church freezing. Big noisy concert there this evening in aid of Haiti, so hopefully that should warm everyone up! Tea and cake looks nice. Glad your hotel is keeping up these wonderful English traditons!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb