Jodhpur Fort


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
January 7th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our very helpful new friend Viki (short for Vickram) at reception advised us on where to go and organised a rickshaw pick-up for us. He also arranged bus tickets for the afternoon and a hotel for us in Jaisalmer with a transfer from the bius depot. We headed up to the very imposing and amazing Jodhpur Fort. Once again we did the tourist thing and picked up the audio guide (included in the entry fee). OFf we set listening to an English accent telling us the amazing history of the fort from its medievil begginings through several battles to its present day. There were interviews with the current Maharaja, previous MAharaja's wives and many others. THere are many old battle scars on the walls and doors and tales of the battles and deaths past. The tour takes you through many rooms and courtyards of the old palace and gives insight into what life would have been like. There is a huge collection of Palanquin's, an extensive armoury, miniature paintings and a collection of ornate babies craddles. A number of rooms were set up as though people were still there. An old moustached guy demonstrated tobacco smoking and the methods for making opium tea (what a job sitting in a courtyard getting paid to smoke all day!). You can also book in to see the palace astrologer for a reading! The views acrioss the old blue city were fantastic and the extensive city walls amazing! We spent a lot longer than we expected but really enjoyed ourselves. Arnee almost died of starvation at the end and was furious as the cafe forgot to bring our food...he was ready to walk out when the guy guiltily looked us and realised he had forgotten to place our order.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Main doorMain door
Main door

The spikes are to stop elephants from ramming the door
PalanquinPalanquin
Palanquin

19 century


8th January 2009

Breakfast
David....better start saving up....we want more than baked beans. Have always wanted to go there to the palace.
8th January 2009

Jodhpur
Hi John, Yeah its awesome! but they don't serve baked beans there.
9th January 2009

Jodhpur Fort
Hi guys Nice blog. I am planing to visit Jaislmer and Jodhpur in this year. I don't know when? Hey guys can u just provide some accomodation information in these cities. Happy holidays. Take care Bye Amit
12th January 2009

father of the groom eats salmon thankyou
12th January 2009

blue city looks cool

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb