Jaisalmer and Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
September 28th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello All

Jaisalmer was dry and sandy coloured and right in the middle of the desert. The fort is perched on top of a hill in the middle of the city and looks just like a big sand castle, even down to the little triangular flag on the top! It was really very hot there (compared with everywhere else which is just very hot!) and we were forced (!) to spend a lot of time lazing around in the shade on the rooftop of our hotel overlooking the fort.

We also took a trip one afternoon, 40km out of town to wander around some sand dunes as the sun set - which sounds very romantic only there were hundreds of people on this little patch of dunes! We successfully evaded the camel safaris, which looked like a very uncomfortable way to spend a few days, by claiming that I'm allergic to camels!

We are now in Jodhpur, which has the most impressive fort we've seen yet, perched a bit higher than Jaisalmer's on a big red rock. We toured round it yesterday, and today visited the current home of the maharaja - a huge palace a few km out of town, built in the 1920s-1940s (it took 15 years) which you can stay in part of for US$400-$4000 per night. Sadly our budget doesn't quite stretch to that!

Tomorrow we are on a bus to our furthest point south yet - Udaipur.

Hope you are all well, we would love to hear news from home!

Lots of love
Kirsty and Tim xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb