Rural India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
January 20th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took about a 3 hour drive outside of the city (yes 3 hours of tumultuous driving each way) to visit the Appropriate Rural Technologies Institute (near Phaltan), where we learned about some of the technologies they were developing to improve sustainability and livelihood issues in the rural context. Some of the products we learned about included: (nearly) smoke-free wood burning stoves, biodigesters and gas stove, and improved nursery techniques for next crop seedlings.

Saw a lot of sugar cane fields- the main crop in the region- and visited a small home in the countryside to see the technologies in use. Our hostess was very proud of her successful crops, her kids, her home and especially her 3 stoves (two gas one smokeless wood burning).

We also met with a co-op (all women again) who made and sold some of the smoke-less stoves in town. Very smart, funny, hard working and entrepreneurial ladies!

On the way back to Pune we stopped very briefly at a famous village temple atop a hill, known for the good luck brought to recently married couples that climb the many steps to the top. It was dusk and the narrow and winding village streets were filled with women in bright silk saris and men in kurtas and shops selling heaping bowls of turmeric, coconut, fruits and other spices. Many have turmeric smudges on their foreheads from a recent temple blessing. Of course my camera battery decides to die and this moment.

Once back on the road the hill with the temple slowly fading from sight, the horizon in front of us is pale a faint warm glow of sunset and behind us a full moon rises, brilliant in the deepening blue sky.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb