Jaipur, Pushkar & Jodhpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
February 10th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Turbans In JaipurTurbans In JaipurTurbans In Jaipur

Inside the city Palace of Jaipur
Hello Again!
First of all, Thankyou for all of your messages they are always appreciated (except yours Mr Stewart)
There will be more photos of the 2 of us to come but at the moment the glare from our white skin still damages the camera!

The 2nd part of our Trip took us into the state of Rajathan, home to Forts, Maharajas and the great Thar Desert.

Jaipur



Jaipur was our first stop in Rajasthan and is the capital of the state.
It is known as the Pink City because all of the buildings within the old city walls have to be painted pink which gives the city unique appearance and ambience.
We stayed at a great hotel which had a rooftop lounge area/restaurant overlooking the old city walls.
We spent the first day in Jaipur wondering around all of the old bazaars inside the old city and visting the city palace and the Hawa Mahal (the palace of the winds), the most famous landmark in Jaipur.

Our second day in Jaipur was spent at Amber Fort just outside the city. The fort is a huge complex built high in the hills above Jaipur.
Many tourists choose
Across Jaipur CityAcross Jaipur CityAcross Jaipur City

The View From The Hawa Mahal
to take one of the many colourfully painted elephants on offer as their transport. We decided to walk up, mainly due to a lack of money!!

On our third and final day in Jaipur we visited Monkey Palace, a small temple high above Jaipur city given its name because all of the Monkeys that congregate there in the evenings. We watched the sun set on our time in Jaipur, a vibrant, colourful city but with all the hassle and noise that all big cities in India seem to have!

Pushkar



After Jaipur we moved onto Pushkar, a small holy town set around a beautiful lake lined with ghats (steps used to reach the holy water for bathing etc)
We spent 3 nights in our hotel, a beautiful haveli with its own courtyard in the centre and rooms around this courtyard on 3 levels.
Most of our time in Pushkar was spent brousing the numerous stalls and markets and buying bits and pieces we will probably never use but seem great at the time!
The town has a great peaceful atmosphere with little traffic and no hassle from the shop owners.
We found a great place by the
Hawa MahalHawa MahalHawa Mahal

In The Pink City
lakeside to hangout each night and watch the sun set over a glass of coke (alcohol is not allowed here as the town is seen as a very holy place 😞 )
We did venture out of town on one occasion to climb up to the savitri Temple set on top of the large hill overlooking Pushkar and its lake. The views were amazing and well worth the hour long climb!

Jodhpur



The final chapter in this installment took us to Jodhpur, known as the Blue City as most of the buildings are painted in a beautiful shade of blue.
The city is dominated by the huge Meherangah Fort, one of the largest in India.
We spent 3 days here, mainly wondering the streets of the old city but also visiting the fort which included a great audio tour narrated by a very posh, enigmatic Indian fellow!!
Jodhpur was a surprisingly quiet and relaxed Indian city with great character and friendly people so we greatly enjoyed our time here finishing each day on the rooftop restaurant at our hotel which had a great view of the mighty Meherangah Fort.

Since Jodhpur we have now moved onto Jaisalmer
Amber PalaceAmber PalaceAmber Palace

Just Outside Jaipur
(The Golden City) Deep in the Thar Desert. Tune in to our next installment for more on that andf hopefully more photos of us!!

Hope all is well at home.

Love Steve & Laura


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Elephants!!Elephants!!
Elephants!!

On the road to Amber
Guess Who it is!!Guess Who it is!!
Guess Who it is!!

We are here, see!!
Cheeky MonkeyCheeky Monkey
Cheeky Monkey

On the way to Monkey Temple
Puppy Love!Puppy Love!
Puppy Love!

On The way to Monkey Temple
The Hills are Alive!The Hills are Alive!
The Hills are Alive!

The View From Monkey Temple
George ClooneyGeorge Clooney
George Clooney

Oh No, my mistake. Its Meeee!
PushkarPushkar
Pushkar

Half way up to Savitri Temple
PushkarPushkar
Pushkar

The View From Savitri Temple
Pushkar LakePushkar Lake
Pushkar Lake

Just before Sunset
Pushkar LakePushkar Lake
Pushkar Lake

At Sunset
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

The Way up to Meherangah Fort
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Meherangah Fort
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Meherangah Fort
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

The View from The Fort
Laura at The FortLaura at The Fort
Laura at The Fort

Overlooking the Blue City
MeherangahMeherangah
Meherangah

One of 3 main Palaces inside the Fort
Meherangah FortMeherangah Fort
Meherangah Fort

Another of the Palaces
Jaswant ThadaJaswant Thada
Jaswant Thada

A Marble Memorial in Jodhpur
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

The View From Jaswant Thada


16th February 2008

No Map
Sorry You'll have to get your atlases out for this one the map application won't work!! Steve.
18th February 2008

Williams, less of the cheeky comments, i am making this blog for you. Ruth is in India at the moment, make sure you say hello if you bump into her (which i'd imagine is pretty likely in a country of 1 billion people!) Stay safe and keep enjoying my friend.
20th February 2008

hahaha
How come you look like a middle aged women, i know the suns ages you bit your taking it abit far with the clothes! Skiing was good if you wanted to know. Buy me something good, Kick xxx

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb