Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For those visiting India some interesting techniques to be mindful of are the guys who say:
I just want to talk to you to practice my English
I am not a Guide, I just want to show you around as I work here
Its free
I am a government approved agent

Any of these statements in or around a monument should be taken with a hint of Sinicism.


Delhi
Arrived very early and tired into Delhi, we were immediately thrown to the Wolves (Waiting touts). We took a pre-paid taxi to our hotel via three tourist offices with the excuse that they did not know where our hotel was, having previously said that they did, then suggested alternatives. The guy did not bank on my stubborn determined manner.
Our street was an assault on the senses. Open sewers, rubbish everywhere and free roaming cattle. A common sight throughout India. After a much needed rest we walked to Connaught Place, the main shopping area. We booked a sight seeing trip of Delhi and a tour of the Golden Triangle plus Udaipur. Returning to the hotel, we had a fantastic meal on the roof-highly recommended (Metropollis Hotel). The street came alive at night with many food stands and market stools. It was very interesting to stroll around with lots of food smells.

Our day trip around Delhi took in the Red Fort, Raj Ghat-tribute garden to Ghandi and other important people in history, India Gate- memorial to Indian soldiers who died in the 1st and 2nd World War, Parliament buildings and the Presidential Palace, Qutab Minar-which boasts the tallest stone tower in India, The lotus temple-home to all faiths and Hunayums Tomb- similar to the Taj Mahal but predates it.

Agra
We boarded an early morning train to Agra, which was very nice with tea and breakfast served at you seat, all included in the price. Our driver, Ghan, picked us up from the station and transferred us to our hotel. On the drive we saw a lot of poverty with people living on the road-side and even an Elephant stood at the side of the road. Very difficult to get used to or understand when you also see high-class malls next to streets of cardboard houses with plastic roofs.

That afternoon we walked around Agra Fort-the fabled prison of Shah Jahan, who commissioned the building of the Taj Mahal, which is visible from the back balcony. The Taj Mahal was very pretty but not as I (Carla) had imagined it to be. Very grand and bright in the sunshine. It was disappointing to see that the reflecting pools were not maintained, another common feature in Indian monuments. It is not obvious that the higher entrance fees paid by foreigners are being used to maintain or restore such buildings.

Fatehpur Sikri
Our journey to Jaipur took us to the abandoned city of Fatehpur Sikri. Once you fight your way past the touts it becomes very peaceful and the city is a maze of beautiful carved red buildings set on the hill top. Only abandoned due to lack of water and religious politics. Another pit stop had us visiting the Monkey Temple, with its three tiers with water pools and plenty of curious monkeys, all built between two large rocks. We also saw some people on the steps with a Cobra in a basket, which we both crept around despite the telling us it was tame, we did not wish to test it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



23rd July 2007

India - oh, the memories
Loved the blog on India - brought back so many memories!!! I think the funniest for me was when I had to pay for someone to look after my shoes and then pay again to get them back!!! I am sure this will sound vaguely familiar.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb