College Road Trip to Rajasthan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
December 5th 2010
Published: July 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

167001_193221487372226_5881540_n167001_193221487372226_5881540_n167001_193221487372226_5881540_n

Palanquin at Mehrangarh Museum
After spending 2 years in college, I never thought my last year would be so joyous. I and my friends planned a long trip to Rajasthan for 1 week to explore the history of some of the remarkable places of Rajasthan. It was the night of December’2010, we boarded a train to Jaisalmer which was the first destination in our itinerary and on the very next morning we reached to our terminus point.



Day 1 :-

After reaching to Jaiselmer Station, we boarded a bus which we had reserved for the entire trip. After a long exhausted travelling for 5 hours, finally we reached to our camp in the lap of nature, so barren but so subtle, situated in the midst of Great Indian Desert, The Thar Desert. Without any pause, we were all set up to take our Camel Safari in the desert which is a thought finding oneself between the sea of sand is itself so mesmerizing. The porters started to gear up the camels by loading stuffs like mattresses, pillows, water barrels, foods on their back. Somewhere deep in the middle of sand dunes, we encountered the Sun slowly weakening down the horizon as
167023_193222257372149_1062116_n167023_193222257372149_1062116_n167023_193222257372149_1062116_n

Sheesh Mahal at mehrangarh
we were moving deep into dessert passing through the thorn shrubs and other desert plants. We also spotted some Wild Deer & Birds. It was a tedious journey but it was worth for experiencing splendid beauty of the Thar. By 6PM, we headed back to our base camp where 2 women dressed up in nomadic costumes standing at the main entrance welcoming every traveller with flowers. I would say it was a royal welcome I have experienced first time in my life. After taking a short nap, we got up at 8PM, sitting next to bonfire; we were earnestly waiting for the performance which was later performed by the Nomadic People known as “Banjaras” on their traditional folk music. At night under the clear sky, we were gazing at the stars which was for me was an exceptional moment that still beats my pulse.



Day 2 :-

Rising out of a vast, barren desert, we moved to the city of Jaiselmer, the Golden city with sheer magic. We reached to a magnificent fort called Jaiselmer Fort which was built in 1156 AD by Rajput ruler Rawal Jaisal. It is also called as one of the
167068_193223034038738_4994854_n167068_193223034038738_4994854_n167068_193223034038738_4994854_n

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
largest fortifications in the world. It has seven-story royal palace called Raj Mahal (partly accessible to visitors), as well as an open courtyard and several temples including some superb Jain temples. Jaiselmer has some astonishing, intricately carved sandstone havelis (Traditional-style residences), that were constructed by prosperous traders of that era. Out of these the most stunning and spectacular havelis of 19th Century are Patwon ki Haveli, but you should also take a look at the beautiful Nathmal ki Haveli and Salim Singh ki Haveli. If you are an architecture lover then you must see the subtle fusion of Rajput and Islamic architectural styles, visible in this fort, will catch your fancy. Ganesh Pol, Akshya Pol, Suraj Pol and Hawa Pol are a not to be missed. Leaving the madding crowd, we moved forward to the famous Gadisar Lake which h is believed to be a water conservation tank made around 1400 AD, by the then Maharaja of Jaisalmer, Maharwal Gadsi Singh. Due to its proximity to Bharatpur Sanctuay, We were lucky enough to see a variety of migratory birds. After capturing some mesmerizing snaps beside the lake, we headed towards our camp to recline for a peaceful catnap.



Day 3:-

On the very next bracing morning, we packed our bags for the next destination, Jodhpur, The Sun City also called as Blue City due to its vivid blue-painted houses in the old city. We arrived at the Mehrangarh Fort which is believed to be one of the largest forts of India, built around 1460 by Rao Jodha. It stands tall on the perpendicular cliff, 400ft. above the skyline of Jodhpur. There are 7 gates to enter into the fort, out of which the most famous gates are Jai pol, Fateh Pol, Dedh Kamgra Pol and Loha Pol. Inside its boundaries; there are several invincible carving and expansive courtyards like Moti mahal, Phool Mahal, Sheesha mahal, Sileh Khana & Daulat Khana. In Mehrangarh Museum, some of the inimitable paintings, costumes & textiles, arms & armours used by the then Maharajas are preserved in this museum along with an exquisite collection of palanquins, royal cradles, miniatures, musical instrument and furniture. As we finished beholding this colossal fort and its delicacy, we returned to a hotel nearby.



Day 4 :-

Next Morning we got up so excitedly as we knew that we were going to meet the Royal Highness of Jodhpur, Maharaja Gaj Singh at Umaid Bhawan Palace. We were very punctual as we don’t want to keep His Highness waiting for us. We were sitting in the courtyard when His Highness managed to interact with us out of his busy schedule. It was such a gratifying moment in my life. Another part of the palace houses a well-maintained museum, displaying an amazing array of items belonging to the Maharaja and the royal family - weapons, antiques & fascinating clocks, crockery and trophies

The Government Museum in here has a rich collection of weapons, textiles, miniature portraits, local crafts and images of Jain Tirthankars. It is situated in the middle of the Umaid public gardens. We finished visiting the whole scattered royal palace and we departed to our second last destination-Udaipur. After 4 hours of Travelling in bus, we reached to Udaipur in the late evening. We didn’t have much hangout at night so we thought to take a long nap.



Day 5 :-

Woke up next morning, another amazing session was waiting for us with Prince of Udaipur, His Highness, Lakshyaraj Singh Mewar in his own palace called Fateh Prakash Palace located peacefully on the banks of Lake Pichola. We were so fortunate that we got a chance to discuss the heritage of Udaipur with the Prince over a royal breakfast. Later, due to his engaged schedule, he had to sign off, but we continued to excavate the transcendent architecture of the palace and the world famous Crystal Gallery which is spread across the upper gallery of the glittering the Durbar Hall Sabhagaar. Unfortunately photography is banned in this section, so we couldn’t manage to get a single click. Crystal Gallery of Udaipur has the largest private collection of crystal found anywhere in the world. It comprises of bewildering number of objects d'art, dinner sets, perfume bottles, decanters, glasses, washing bowls and even furniture and last but not the least the only Crystal Bed in the world. The Durbar Hall Sabhagaar has its opulent interiors - with huge chandeliers and special lights, portraits of the Maharanas of Mewar, royal artifacts and the legendary armory of the Mewar dynasty. We proceeded to the City Palace Museum which comprises of the Mardana Mahal (palace for the royal men) and The Zenana Mahal (palace for the royal ladies). Rare murals on the walls and ceilings, glass inlay work, original paintings and artefacts , weaponry, armaments and personal belongings of the rulers are on display in their original places. We suited up ourselves to take a short boat trip to Lake Pichola where we bump into the outer beauty of the Taj Lake Palace Udaipur. After spending the whole day in admiring the charm of Udaipur, we headed to our last destination, that is, the most popular hill station of India called Mount Abu.



Day 6:-

We were feeling somber as our trip was on the verge of completion but we decided to achieve happiness most out of it. Mount Abu is the only hill station in Rajasthan which is more than just a summer retreat. So, we started our day from a harmonious place called Brahma Peace Park which was both lovely and serene located between the two famous Aravalli peaks, Achalgarh and Guru Shikhar. It is a perfect place to find a blend of inner peace and recreation. It takes you away from the strenuous city life into the world of tranquility and spirituality. We carried on to glare at the pristine Nakki lake which is said to be very ancient sacred lake according to the Hindu legend. There is the Toad Rock on a hill near the lake. Toad rock is so called as it looks like a toad about to jump into the lake, from the side of the rock facing the lake. Our final hangout is Dilwara Jain temples acknowledged to be one of the finest Jain temples known to world for its unrivaled architecture and astounding marble stone carving. These temples built by Vastupal-Tejpal, Jain laymen between the 11th and 13th centuries AD are world famous for their stunning use of marble. Dilwada Temple consist of 5 major sections dedicated to five Jain Saints - Shri Mahaveer Swami Temple, Shri AdiNath Temple or Vimal Vasahi Temple, Shri ParshavNath Temple or Khartar Vasahi Temple, Shri Rishabdaoji Temple or Peethalhar Temple and Shri NemiNathJi Temple or Luna Vasahi Temple. We were so astonished with its phenomenal carving that couldn’t resist ourselves to take a snapshot but regrettably photography is not allowed inside the temple but we at least grab some souvenir from the shop outside.





Finally our trip came to an end; it was bitter reality
168193_193218767372498_7804093_n168193_193218767372498_7804093_n168193_193218767372498_7804093_n

Performance by Banjaras at Jaiselmer Desert
that we have to get back to our busy life but was feeling nostalgic for the great time I have spent with my mates. But we wouldn’t stop travelling unless we explore some more interesting places in India.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb