Western Rajasthan : Thar Desert


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
November 18th 2010
Published: November 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

October,embraces winters in northern India and is the best season to travel hot desert of Rajasthan. In late 2008,along with my flat mates I planned a trip to western Rajasthan. It was a bit planned and more than a bit unplanned trip. We had our tickets from Delhi to Jaisalmer but we decided to get down at Jodhpur. the trip starts in an usual fashion of catching train,fixing luggage. occupying redundant berths.....

It was the night journey but one can easily feel the shadows of dry Arawali ranges on the way. We reached Jaipur in the Mid night. caught quick tea on the platform. enjoyed the serenity of the night....

Rajasthan is one of the least populated state of India so you will start feeling your space. This Majestic state is blessed with rich heritage,amazing culture,stupendous architecture,unique fauna and remarkable artwork. I can go on and on. but the most impressive facet of this state is its ever changing terrain with each mile. Rajasthan as a whole covers almost all kind of landscape including forests,Rivers,Mountains,Lakes. and the Great Desert of Thar...

In this journey I will be proceeding from dry to drier terrain. Its not a cold desert of Himalayas but equally deplorable for any kind of life...


We hardly got any sleep in the train because there was some school tour in the same coach. we got down at Jodhpur very early in the morning. hunted down a place to stay and started preparing for one day tour to this arid but outstanding city...

Jodhpur is a small town and it attracts very large of number of tourists each year. We hired a taxi for entire day from Rajasthan Tourism department itself. its reasonable and affordable. we started off with Umaid bhawan palace,a heritage museum and then headed to Mehrangarh fort from there. Mehrangarh fort is the most visited site in the city and its built on a hill top. A view of jodhpur from this marvelous fort seems like Blue thick distorted lines intersecting each others. that's the reason Jodhpur is called "Blue city"....Jaswant thada is also on the way to Mehrangarh fort. Its a placid site, not much crowded and has plenty of space for travellers seeking isolation. The best part of Jodhpur is its restaurants. You will get all kind of food but we decided to stick with local rajasthani food only. we had delicious lunch after first half day travel. some of us decided to go for a siesta and some went for window shopping...

Images:

Read more :

http://thinkingparticle.com/blog/dire-strait-great-indian-desert

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb