Jaisalmer


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
March 19th 2006
Published: March 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jaisalmer is a small town in the middle of the desert, 5 hours bus journey to the nearest city. As soon as we arrived it was like walking onto a movie set. The fort was easily the most impressive I have seen, it was like something out of Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones. We stayed in a really nice hotel at the top of the fort with a great view over the town and surrounding desert. Jaisalmer is one of the closest towns to the packistani boarder which explains the masses of military in the area. One proud local informed me that for every resident of Pakistan the Indian army as two solders. Looking at the sheer amount of troops in this area I believe him.

I also managed to witness one of lifes great mystries, “how many indians can you fit into a tuk tuk…” the answer is 11 or just me and dave with our backpacks!!

We went on a camel safari in the desert for a day and night which was a fantastic experience. I bought some local gear for the trip including an Indiana Jones style hat and shirt, Dave was supposed to get a bright coloured turban but he chickened out.

My camel was called Simon, like me he was lazy and insisted on stopping every time we passed a bush so he could eat! The day was spent riding the camels passing the odd ruin and through tiny villages in the desert. (People we don’t realise just how lucky we are!) We made our way to some sand dunes where we watched the sun set and made camp for the night. We had yet another veg curry which was supprisongly good, but two weeks without meat was starting to take it toll and I started to wonder what simon might taste like.

The camel guides transformed their bags and cooking utensils into instruments and provided us with some musical entertainment which was a nice change from the constant camel farts! Which smell even worse than Keiths, (sorry mate but it has to be said!!)

Night time was interesting, we tried to sleep at the bottom of sand dune but it was very difficult; the camels eat and fart so loudly all night, small wild dogs try to sleep next to you and dung beetles which crawl all over you and make an annoying clicking sound. In the morning there was little tracks all around my sleeping bag, looks like the dung beetles had an all night party around my head. Wonderful.

Dave

Jaisalmer; we ve just arrived here and everything is made of sandstone as were stayin in the middle of the desert. Were actually staying in the fort which is the highest point in the city and it looks like a scene out of Indiana jones. We ve even got a real indy whip in our room and tony has bought the hat too. Consequently tony now thinks he is Indiana jones( mum, try and keep calm, he looks bugger all like Harrison!) and I keep saying the line, “ver iz ze stone dr jones!”. Its real cool here and were goin on camel safari tomorrow. There will be plenty of camel toes on show then!(sorry to the parents who got that joke). Laters ladies.


Camel safari; we ve just got back from the desert and I have to say that my camel, papu was by far the hardest!! It kept bitimg tonys camel, simon(and garfunkel). Whats even funnier is that tonys camel kept thinking it was tony and tried to bite him while he was on top of it!! Ha ha ha ha! Unfortunately I am walking like john wayne in eldorado (for you dad) at the mo as a full day on a camel does wonders for your nether regions. It was really good tho and if you get the chance I recommend you try it, except I didn’t get much sleep as you have dung beatles crawling all over you in the middle of the night. Lovely!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



25th March 2006

apes
YOU TWO LOOK LIKE A PAIR OF BABOONS !

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb