Dune Bashing At Sand Dunes in Jaisalmer


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
June 20th 2018
Published: June 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Jaisalmer is one of the most beautiful cities in Rajasthan that enables you to explore the unseen palaces and forts dotting the city. These majestic structures have stunning architecture and are beautifully carved. You will be taken aback by the yellow sandstone architecture that Jaisalmer is famous for. Of course, this is also the right city to experience the harsh yet thriving Thar Desert.

If you are in Jaisalmer, sand dune bashing and desert safaris should be part of your itinerary. You can hire a four-wheel to conquer sand dunes or feel like royalty during the desert safari. Many visitors often camp in the desert to experience the authentic Rajasthani lifestyle. A visit to this effervescent city is bound to leave you mesmerized, and the stunning beauty and cultural richness of Jaisalmer will compel you to return over and over again.

Dune Basing in Jaisalmer

Dune bashing refers to driving a four-wheel drive over sand dunes at increasing and decreasing speeds. It is a thrilling and adrenaline-filled activity that requires expertise to steer the vehicle over constantly shifting sand and that is what makes dune bashing so exciting.

You will have to stop to let out air from the tires of the vehicle. Why? As reducing tire pressure helps to improve traction on the shifting sand. If you have the skill, you can drive an SUV on your own. Otherwise, in Jaisalmer, you can hire a chauffeured vehicle, where the driver also doubles up as your guide and provides you interesting and lesser known snippets about Jaisalmer and the Thar Desert.

What to Expect During Sand Bashing in Jaisalmer

When you book dune bashing at the sand dunes of Jaisalmer, you will usually be collected from your hotel and taken deep into the desert so that no ambient noises that are prevalent in the city can disturb your hearing and no structures will block your view.

While the drive into the Thar Desert can be a little bumpy, it is worthwhile. You will start feeling the adrenaline pumping through your veins as your driver and the vehicle begins sliding, spinning and skidding on the shifting sand. Be prepared to grip the edge of your seat and maybe even scream a few times as your SUV navigates the sandy dunes.

Be sure to dress in lose cotton clothes. After all, you are in the desert and sand is everywhere. It is best to cover your hair with a scarf or hat and wear sunglasses to prevent sand from entering your eyes.

The driver will stop the vehicle after the dune bashing session gets over. This will enable you to walk around and enjoy the harsh and mesmerizing scenery around you. However, you will be keen to get back into your vehicle and begin conquering the sand dunes once again.

The Bottom Line

Sand dune bashing in Jaisalmer gives you an opportunity to experience desert life like never before. If you like, you can club a desert safari with this unique experience and set up camp like a nomad in the middle of the sandy expanse. Be sure to carry warm clothing if you intend spending the night, as temperatures drop significantly. But this is one experience you will cherish all your life.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb