Welcome to the char walla


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
January 16th 2013
Published: January 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What an amazing assault on the senses when you travel through the narrow streets of old Delhi by tuk tuk! No matter how much you read or hear about India truly prepares you, not even nearly 3 months in south-east Asia. We passed by markets or open air stalls killing chickens, cooking omelette from the omelette walla, dried spiced noodles and freshly cooking popcorn all added to the array of smells. And I can barely begin to record all the sights but suffice to say we saw all manner of humanity on the streets of Delhi, not just in old quarter, but one of the most poignant was a boy of around 8 years face made up like a clown cartwheeling and somersaulting between the cars on a busy highway so that as the traffic slowed he could knock on the window begging for rupees to feed himself.

We landed in Delhi last Saturday the 12th January from Bangkok where we stayed near the airport ready for another early start. No-one would believe how early we get up during our travels! Since our last blog we travelled from Ao Nang, in south west Thailand by minibus,coach and overnight train to Bangkok where we took an hour by local bus to pick up a bus to the Cambodian border. The journey from Bangkok to the border, waiting at the border and getting visas and onwards to Siem Reap by tourist bus is not to be recommended. It was the journey from Hell! We tried to fly but cheaper flights were sold out and other flights were 4/5 times more expensive than prior to Christmas. The end of the journey in sight the bus stopped on the outskirts of the town and a tuk tuk driver was hired to take us to our pre-booked hotel on Beer garden street. A street well known you would think. However we were taken to another hotel, driven on the wrong side of the road and stranded in the countryside where the driver tried to menace us for more money. Iain was steadfast in his command to take us back to town. He tried to drop us off on a highway but we wouldn't get out!! Eventually in the dark and approaching 11pm we got out and dived into a big hotel that rescued us. Two hotel workers finishing their shift offered to take us. Trustingly we went outside where two motorbikes were waiting. So imagine the picture: tired and scared with a heavy back pack and a small one on my front hanging off the back whilst we spent a further 35 mins searching for the hidden hotel. Finally we were passed to another tuk tuk driver who knew where it was and just past midnight we arrived at our lovely hotel on an unlovely street. The problem was that google earth has recorded the hotel on the wrong street!! The delights of modern technology! However we were rewarded the following day with the awe and wonder that is Angkor Wat. Amazing!

From Siem Reap we journeyed to Bangkok and flew on New Years day to Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand, where we stayed outside the city in a lovely place on the Ping River. It was wonderful to sail slowly into the town from the hotel by longtail boat at 5pm for an evening meal and stroll around the night market. We needed time out there to recover from chills picked up in Siem Reap so we stayed a few more days before flying back to Bangkok. We really enjoyed Bangkok and found it really easy to travel around whether by river ferry or sky train. We were surprised by Bangkok when it appeared that we had both half expected it to disappoint.

From there we went by train to Kanchanaburi where Iain was keen to do the Death railway and the bridge over the River Kwai. We did a long trek up in the Erewan National Park as well as caves, waterfalls etc. Last of all we visited the war graves cemetery and museum which was heart rending. Then it was back to Bangkok by train to start our India trip. Anyway we stayed in a luxury hotel in New Delhi and I will return to tell you more about that in due course as our driver has arrived now to take us to Pushkar!

Advertisement



19th January 2013

Hi guys. We are experiencing extreme snow and freezing conditions. I foolishly left home at 6pm to go to Becs party, it took an hour to get there and it was the most petrifying drive of my life. At one point I had to use the central reservation to stop me from skidding into another car! I think the whole country is in a winter wonderla nd! It is beautiful and lovely but not if u have to drive! Anyway bed time now. Missing you loads. Home time soon xx x x x x xx x x
23rd January 2013

Ooh err
Our admiration for your pluck is tinged by a certain amount of concern for your predicament! Please take care!
27th January 2013

Hi
Hi to you both and Happy New Year.Finally found my way to this blog site. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time with lots of new experiences. The lost hotel situation obviously not one you want to repeat. We are back from our R& R in St Lucia, lovely to escape to the sunshine but all went by too quickly- we also did a bit of walking in the rainforest ( in Dominica) it lived up to it's name and we were absolutely drenched, but fortunately not too humid. We will continue to follow your adventures- your description of India has made me even more determined to go there sometime. Take care . Lots of love Ali & Ray
28th January 2013

Hope you are taking care!!
Hi you two hope you have got over your ordeal when looking for the hotel and you are enjoying India and staying safe!! Off to Sri Lanka on 9th February - really looking forward to it. Am keeping in touch with Kate and she knows where we are if she needs us. Take care looking forward to your next instalment. Lots of love Sue and Grahame xxxxx
1st February 2013

Wow - sounds rather scary. Hope all is well now and that you are enjoying the next stage. Take care. xx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb