Jaipur Jars & Delhi Delights


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
December 20th 2010
Published: December 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Two sides of the Golden Triangle


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Shopping cows on the Main Bizarre 49 secs
We managed to get the last train tickets in the whole of India, probably, from Agra to Jaipur. We had a very pleasant journey, jumped in a very pleasant car and arrived at our very pleasant hotel (where we upgraded our room to a very pleasant room).

We chilled out for a day because Steve got some sort of dodgy tummy, which is strange because we'd been sharing food for the previous few days. However, with internet connection we still looked in to catching a train to Ranthanbore to meet some tigers. That was obviously a bit hopeful of us, as they were full with big waiting lists. We decided to knock the plan on the head and split the extra time between Jaipur and Delhi. We’ll just have to come back to see the tigers another day.

We did a bit of sightseeing; the City Palace, the observatory, Water Palace and our rickshaw driver took us to a fabric shop. It was great, he gave us a ten minute tour of the factory where he showed us how they made block print and then on to a guy who was sewing sparkly things on to fabric that would be turned in to a wedding jacket for a man. Amazing stuff. In return for the free tour we got to sit in comfy seats with a cup of chai and look at all the pretty bedding, table cloths, wall hangings. The list was endless and by the end we were hooked and spent nearly a days budget on 3 or 4 items.. they supposedly supply Monsoon back in the UK with fabric too. We have a lifetime guarantee for the items, if we change house and they don't match the walls he'll have them back and we get a full refund. What service!

That evening we figured out that our friend Helen, who is also travelling around India, was in Jaipur. So we hopped in to a rickshaw and bombed over to Helen's hotel for a few beers and a long catch up. The hotel put on a little puppet show for us, which was fun, an Indian Punch and Judy they called it. It was a lovely evening, although by the end we were a bit sloshed and I really felt like doing roly-polys across the lovely lawn.

The following day we spent nursing a bad
A 309kg silver urnA 309kg silver urnA 309kg silver urn

The grandfather of the present maharaja was a devout Hindu. Touching British Officials was done wearing gloves. After the meeting he would burn all his clothes and wash in Ganga water. He adapted a P&O liner to carry two of these urns full of Ganga water when he visited England to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
head and booking up our accommodation for the Andamans (!!). Helen joined us in the afternoon for a roof top drink and dinner in our local restaurant (looks like a greasy spoon from back home). The three of us then took a rickshaw to meet up with the rest of Helen's tour group at the cinema. The evening was hilarious from two little girls shaking mine and Helen's hand, then running off sniffing theirs, to the audience shouting, whistling, singing and laughing. There was such a good atmosphere it didn't matter that the film wasn‘t in English.

So we’re now back in Delhi. We’ve visited the rather large and impressive Red Fort, taken a cycle rickshaw through the back streets and walked through the spice market. Steve has unfortunately caught a cold (probably in sympathy with you lot back in snowy England). We’re flying down to Goa this afternoon, back to the warmth and the beach.. just where we’re happy and where Steve can convalesce in time for Christmas fun.

India isn’t really the place to try and get in to the Christmassy spirit which makes us miss you all like crazy.

Lots of festive love and kisses

S&S

XxXxXxXxX






Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Jantar Mantar ObservatoryJantar Mantar Observatory
Jantar Mantar Observatory

Built in 1728-1734.
Blocks made from hardwoodBlocks made from hardwood
Blocks made from hardwood

to make block work designed fabrics.
Guy sewing sparkles on to a clothGuy sewing sparkles on to a cloth
Guy sewing sparkles on to a cloth

that'll be turned in to a jacket for a male wedding costume.
Palace of the winds.Palace of the winds.
Palace of the winds.

Where the ladies used to watch events. Ladies weren't allowed out in to public.


21st December 2010

Cows
Lovely photos - from the beautiful architecture to the bustling markets. What we really love though is the way the cows are able to walk upside down!! Hope Goa allows Steve to recuperate and is full of Christmas spirit. lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
22nd December 2010

Steve
is feeling better already. He just needed the beach! Lots of love xxxx
22nd December 2010

My lost message just said what a lovely blog and how it made me jealous; I would so love to see the Taj Mahal. And now you make me even more jealous! I would also love to see the observatory at Jaipur. I use it in my astronomy teaching. I was impressed by how you looked in the photos from Goa; so beautiful and your clothes have taken on and Asian feel to them which is very atttractive. We will be thinking of you on Saturday and hope you have a wonderful day. Keep safe, Merry Christmas and lots of lovex
23rd December 2010

Morning, Joan
Thank you for the lovely compliment. I tell you, the observatory would have made a lot more sense if you'd been there! When you go, take me with you and you can explain it all. I Hope you all have a lovely Christmas. Can't wait to see you in Feb - not long now. Lots of love to you, Mike and Huw. xxxxxxxxxxx
31st December 2010
Meeting up with Helen on our roof

Blimey
What a moody mare.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb