Under a week to go


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
August 7th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

General thoughts...



After getting past the fact that nearly EVERYONE wants something from you, be it a photograph or money, I am in love with India. Currently in Jaipur again after just having been to Pushkar, such a beautiful part of the world (although Nick had trouble adjusting to the non-alcoholic, vegetarian scene there). Done lots of shopping, some amazing UV artwork including a 1.5 meter portrait of Ganesh in luminous orange and some Indian tree faries which are slightly bizarre but was tempted by the outrageous energy seems to emit from them...

Rode an elephant today near the Amber Fort in Jaipur today (did also see the fort but it was a bit anti-climaxical after the ride). The elephant's owner informed us that it was the biggest elephant in Rajastan; I have to admit it was pretty massive! Going to Agra to see the Taj Mahal finally tomorrow. Have been told that to get the most serene and personal view it is best to view it at dawn so that's what I plan to do.

Have to say though, I'm clearly eating in the wrong places since have been sick a few times times now, particularly after eating thali which is highly irritating as it's a fave of mine! Some of the food had been great but some disappointing - note to any Indians that may read this, let the Italians stick to the pizza/pasta making! Also, quite proud that so far have not eaten anything beyond my spice boundaries (not for lack of looking). However, I now have a raving addiction to mangos. All I'm saying is that the Portsmouth Tesco branch better get some in stock!

It's funny how something so small can instantly influence your mood so strongly out here. A bland, overpriced meal or getting ripped off when you know there was nothing you could have done to prevent it can be the icing on the cake after a bad day. But then, just the same, some of the whiling grins from the street kids trying to obtain a photograph or taking a quick glance at the beautiful scenery can just as easily make you smile and realise how truly beautiful and unique this country is.

If I ever get the chance to return to India I would love to explore further North and definitely down to Goa and Bangalore, just not in monsoon season (although admittedly have been lucky with the weather and haven't yet died from heatstroke). To see the whole of India in all it's honest glory would take a lifetime.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, and if anyone reading this happens to know of some good places to eat in either Jaipur, Agra or Delhi that won't make me sick and test the tastebuds for malicious spice send me a message!!

Love from India... x




Advertisement



10th August 2010

ronty.mukherjee@gmail.com
Well good article of The Pink City-Rajasthan!!!!! Thanks for Posting!!!!!!
11th August 2010

good places to eat
hey nice article..glad u liked our country so much..i can tell u good eating joints in delhi and agra..just let me know the budget...

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb