A Taj, a train, tuk-tuks and tadka dal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
April 11th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ghats the way to do itGhats the way to do itGhats the way to do it

The Ghats at Varanasi as Indians arrive for prayers to the Ganges
We have seen some incredible sights over the past 2 weeks; among the most impressive and iconic in India. We continue to love the country and the people especially.

We left chilly Darjeeling with our new friends Mike and Laura and travelled by sleeper train (18 hours!) to Varanasi, famous for the ghats where Hindus come to bathe and be blessed by the waters of the Ganges, as well as to be cremated by the river as the holy waters provide a 'fast route' to heaven. We were prepared for a lot of jostling and hassle, but we were pleasantly surprised that the city was quite chilled out. Perhaps as we had missed the busy season - it is getting too hot here for Western tourists! It is a wonderful place and we found a guide to de-code the ceremonies and architecture for us; a good plan. We took a boat ride on the Ganges at sunrise and at sunset, the latter being when the burning ghats can be seen as well as the 'puja' a prayer ceremony to the Ganges. We made our wishes, lit candles, and sent them floating off down the river. Magical stuff.

We took
Vishnu were hereVishnu were hereVishnu were here

At Rishikesh, yoga capital of the world
another overnight train to Delhi and then north onto Hardiwar, another Holy city, to see a similar puja ceremony in the fast flowing start of the Ganges, before taking a taxi to Rishikesh, the yoga capital of the world. Full of people dressed rather alarmingly, banging drums, chanting in a new-age way and seeking enlightenment, to say it was 'not Aidan's cup of tea' is a huge understatement. I was hoping to take part in a yoga class, at least to say I'd done so (and maybe launch a new career as a swami in the Uk...!) but we were both struck by a mild case of Delhi Belly and spent a couple of days watching movies in bed. Arguably more illuminating than wandering the streets of Rishikesh. It is a nice place, however, and we met lots of fantastically friendly locals on their holidays, keen to have their picture taken with us (the David Beckham effect, perchance??!).

Back in Delhi, Sue and Ellie arrived on Tuesday and we have had a wonderful few days with them. We took the train to Agra to see the Taj Mahal which is a highlight, not just of India, but of our
Caption competitionCaption competitionCaption competition

The best caption suggested wins a prize... winner announced on next, and final, blog!
entire trip. It is an uncannily beautiful building, highly mesmeric and completely captiviating. We were all entranced and spent a dreamy, though very hot, afternoon there, unwilling to tear ourselves away. We enjoyed striking wistful poses on the 'Diana bench' particularly.

A 'travel day' yesterday with a 6 hour bus ride to Jaipur. Ellie's dreams came true today with an elephant ride up the hill to the Amber fort. Hilariously, Sue and Ellie's elephant was the slowest of the pack and Aidan and I watched with great amusement as they were overtaken time and time again. At least they got their rupees worth! The fort was fantastic. An exhausting trip into the markets was followed by a soothing dip in the hotel swimming pool. Ahhh....

Must dash as we are heading out for dinner now and in search of some meat and alcohol! The food in Rajasthan is wonderful, but tends to be vegetarian - and dry. At least we will be the picture of health when we get back home.

All the best to you all 'til the next bloglette!

PS. Sorry about the dreadful captions to the photos, btw. We are offering a prize
The Taj MahalThe Taj MahalThe Taj Mahal

As incredible as everyone says
(though don't get too excited!) if anyone can come up with something funny - see pic with blue painted man and me!

xxx







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ellie and the elephantEllie and the elephant
Ellie and the elephant

At Jaipur Amber Fort


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb