Haggis, neeps and tatties


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Stirlingshire » Falkirk
April 25th 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are back!

After a grand total of 6 months and 2 days we arrived back into Manchester airport, to glorious sunshine and a warm welcome from Aidan's sister Ellie at the arrivals hall. We decided to change our flights to come home a couple of days earlier than planned as it was getting sooo hot in India that we were beginning to stay indoors with the aircon on full blast all day. Also, we realised that acclimitising back to the UK would be a good idea before Aidan starts work again on Monday. Aidan's Dad was not expecting us and was very shocked when his son jumped out from behind a hedge to surprise him.

It is lovely to be home and we have enjoyed a few days of fishing, sleeping, driving and, especially, eating! Who knew boiled potatoes would taste so good after 6 months of different cuisines? After a few days in Shropshire, we drove to Scotland to see my parents and head back to Harrogate tomorrow.

Our six months away has been fantastic and well worth it. Favourite countries include Peru as there are so many wonderful sights and India as it is such an interesting, diverse, challenging and beautiful place. Easter Island was fantastic and we also loved Chile for the volcanos and fishing, New Zealand for the 'Scotland on steriods' scenery and the fun of campervanning, Thailand for the food and fun people, Cambodia for the sunny culture and simple life despite recent history, plus Angkor Wat. Raratonga in The Cook Islands is the best holiday destination ever - if you have the time and airfare to get there. The Salt flats/Atacama desert tour in Bolivia was also one of the best things we did in our time away and we'll never forget the scenery and sights in that remote location. The only low point was our two weeks in Vietnam with its pervasive smell of fish sauce and the lack of charm and hospitality. Such a unwelcome change from everywhere else on our trip - but at least it made us appreciate everything else more!

Thanks to everyone for keeping in touch and sending your news whilst we've been away. We missed everyone very much and, believe it or not, we are glad we came back after six months - a year would be too long away from friends and family. We met a few older couples on our trip who travel for 2-3 months of every year during January, February and March. That is now our goal - but in a good few years time! Finally, thanks to my husband who was a perfect travelling companion; adventurous but mindful of our need for creature comforts; keen to see and do lots yet patient - especially when I was writing this blog. He always gave me the window seat on the plane, bus or train and was good humoured and fun (almost) every day. Strangely, nobody in the UK has commented on a resemblance to David Beckham. More Dave from Peckham, methinks.

Sorry no photos this time but I will post a few highlights in a separate blog soon. We are getting ourselves organised now and I hope to also be back in mobile phone contact in the next week!

And a big hello to everyone we met whilst we were away - we will be in touch soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb