Char.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well I'm currently in the city of Jaipur, and over halfway through my "North India Unplugged" adventutre. Its been a few days since I updated my blog, and I can't really remember everything that has gone on, but i guess that doesn't really matter, here are the highlights...
Our last full day in Udaipur consisted of umming and ahhing about whether I needed more cooking equipment when I get home, the answer it turns out, was yes! So I bought a kadhai wok (yes Another wok!). I'm sure it will get much use when i'm back in the UK. it is hopefully on its way there right now, with a load of stuff Anna and I decided we didnt want to cart round.
We then walked up to the monsoon palace, for sunset (more pics ahoy) and it was nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and be able to move freely and pace out a bit up the hill! I didn't actually look round the palace as we just set up camp on a ledge to look out over the hills and wait for the sunset, but it was pretty peaceful and i think the area is a nature reserve.
After this, and a hasty tuk tuk ride back in to the city, we went to the "cultural show" at a museum in Udaipur. I wasn't really a fan. It was cheap, that's pretty much the only saving grace, as the "peacock dance" i use the term extreemly lightly, consisted of a woman apparently portraying the dance of a mating peacock. it was all a bit ridiculous, even the dancer thought so, you could see it in the way her face was set in a grimace the whole way through. I must admit though, the last lady who dance with 10 pots on her head was pretty good. Even if they did seem to weigh very little (which was proven by the man effortlessly lifting them off at the end. But then again, what do I know, i cant dance with one pot on my head, let alone 10!
After this, we passed by a guru. Uttam informed us in hushed tones that it was a gay guru, but shhh, its illegal here, so despite everyone knowing it, we can't mention it. and after a few bevs, went to sleep.

Day 11 dawned bright
Monsoon Palace - UdaipurMonsoon Palace - UdaipurMonsoon Palace - Udaipur

More Sunset - Sorry!
and early for a trip to Pushkar. Not much to talk about for the journey, but we ended up at a really nice hotel just outside of Pushkar, run by two brothers. The place had brilliant food, and we were all a bit sick of curry followed by curry and more curry, so broke out a little here and had some good italian food. On our first avo in pushkar we all went pushkar lake and got blessed. some people enjoyed, others weren't so thrilled, but because we gave our "voluntary donation" we got our wristbands meaning we wouldn't get hassled at other religious places in the city. supposedly!
In the evening we watched an aweful bolywood film about some mafia guy trying to become a doctor to impress his dad. it really was aweful, but apparently one of the top bolywood movies ever!
The next day was spent shopping and haggling and we ate at a fantastic veggie restaurant called Honey and Spice. It's recommended in the LP. Well it was great. very tofu and chocolate oriented.
Pushkar itself is very backpacker touristy and there's definitely a hippy western trancey vibe that comes across. I don't think i've seen
PushkarPushkarPushkar

Across Pushkar Lake
so many white people in one place since i've been in India! But it is a nice place for sure.
Yesterday we came to Jaipur. Staying at the Jaipur inn which is i guess a standard big city hotel. probably a bit pricey, but not really all that nice. and the food is aweful. Hence last night we went to a great tandori restaurant. and I ate MEAT! for the first time since January. It was tasty and as yet no repurcussions, but Uttam said if i was going to ever eat it in India, this would be the place. so yeah, i did! and then after eating we dropped by an indian wedding. Uttam asked if it would be ok for us to have a look, and the grooms father and grandfather loved that we were taking an interest! so yeah it was pretty exciting, my pics turned out rubbesh tho :-( After the wedding we played cards, but gave that up when we realised uttam was too drunk to be paying attention. gah.
Today we went to see Jantar Mantar. The final and biggest observatory build by Jai Singh II. It was pretty big and houses the largest
JaipurJaipurJaipur

Can't remember what it's called!
sundial in the world so the guide told us. I would definitely recommend going to this place if ever in Jaipur, because its just nice and quiet and gets you away from the markets. I'm really finding that cities are not my bag, at least not in developing countries (or poss just india!) and finally this evening, we went to Raj Mandir (bollywood cinema) to see "rab ne bana di jodi" an excellent bolywood film which most definitely restored my faith in bollywood movies! This one was subtitleless which could have meant i didn't know what was going on. but compared to the doctor one the other day (which was subtitled!) this was ace! Here's my personal summary:
Girl's father has heart attack after telling her that her potential partner and all his family have died in a car crash and his dying wish is that she now gets married to his favourite student. She does. He loves her and wants to make the most but she doesnt love him but says will do her best to be a good wife. He wants to spend time with her so enters a dance competition she has entered to spend time with her as his alter-ego (Raj). She has no idea it is him (!) She falls in love with Raj . He tells her he loves her, she says, no, i'm married. then half hour later, ok, lets elope, but wait, oh no i can't i'm married. Then the dance competition finale, tah dah, its actually me, your husband....happily ever after. Could it be any better?!
So now i'm off to prepare myself for leaving for Bharatpur tomorrow morning.
Hope alls well! Thanks for the messages by the way. I keep meaning to respond to them, but then time flies when i'm typing up this thing....hope you're enjoying tho!
Pete




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Someone's WeddingSomeone's Wedding
Someone's Wedding

we were welcome, I promise!
Janter Manter - JaipurJanter Manter - Jaipur
Janter Manter - Jaipur

Largest sundial


12th February 2009

x
Hello bro! Thats such a gorgeous pic of you! Makes me miss you loads. Your blatently goin with the flow and lovin every (if not brilliant) minute of it. Am havin a V n O for you. Take care xxx
12th February 2009

It's called Palace of the Winds. Good to see you're enjoying yourself, I'm jelous as hell!

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb