Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
November 14th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a week of Pushkar Camel Fair and Mela, all vegetarian and booze free, we headed for Jaipur.... and went straight for the beer and chicken!
We started off with Hawa Mahal (Palace of Winds), built 1799. There are 953 windows in this 5 story palace. Each one carved out of pink sandstone to form a screen rather than an open window. The palace was made for the women of the royal families who were to adhere to strict 'purdah" (cover). The airy palace screens allowed the women the 'freedom' to look out and see festivals and life on the busy streets below without being seen. The whole palace is built like a window lined maze, add that with bus loads of tourists and we were soon off looking for a beer stand! On way home that night, wondering what to eat for dinner, came across a streetside BBQ stand with racks of Tandoori chicken. OMG! So unbelievably good!

Took in Jantar Mantar next day. An Alice in Wonderland kind of park as it is filled with weird instruments and structures to track Zodiac signs, the suns positioning and lots more observatory stuff, all built about 1728. The big sundial is 27 m high!

Took off to Nahargarh Fort that afternoon, built 1734, aka Tiger Fort. Built upon a rocky Hill overlooking city, had amazing views, a couple large water reservoirs (now disgusting looking swimming holes), and a palace for the royal families.
Went to city palace the next morning. Kind of a waste of time and money. Blah! Whatever.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb