Jaipur - and my nightmare!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
October 26th 2008
Published: October 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We met loads of lovely people on the train, all Indian, we saw no other tourists. There was on older couple, the guy was an amputee and then a couple who had an arranged marriage 10 days before. They actually seemed very happy!! Being India they kept plying us with food and tea, and also an apple!! With 3 hours still to go of a 20 hour train ride I knew something was amiss!! 3 hours in a train toilet in India is not very pleasant!! I was so sick it hurt😞 Thankfully after 48 hours in bed I feel much better although eating still is a chore, I really paranoid now and don't touch half the food and drink I order!!

Lucky old Steve has got to do the sights of Jaipur twice, one alone and then again with me!! His new way of shouting and swearing at rickshaw drivers seems to be working, no silk shops or gem stones for us!! Jaipur is surrounded by pink walls and has loads of old looking bazaars. The palace and the Hawa Mahal are really nice to see, we also saw the worlds largest sundial, although our guide nearly had a heart attack when we didn't know our rising birth sign!??! The buildings are all dusky pinky coloured and cows, monkeys and dogs are everywhere.

This evening we went to the temple of the Sun God, known locally as the Monkey Temple. It was really weird. We had to climb a path up to it as its on a hill. The atmosphere wasn't nice and it just had an uncomfortable air about it. We're glad we went in daylight!! On the path up we saw a boy with 2 cobras so god knows what he's done to them. They don't even bother with snake charming anymore just money for photo. Couldn't do that though, its too mean to the snake! There are lots of beggars here, and its really hard especially when they ask for food and water.

India really is a hard place to travel, nothing here is easy....hopefully we will continue without further illness though!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hawas MahalHawas Mahal
Hawas Mahal

This is the best thing in Jaipur! The building is lovely.
Finding the north starFinding the north star
Finding the north star

The guide here was really cool otherwise i wouldnt have a clue how to use a sundial


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb