Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
August 11th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hawa MahalHawa MahalHawa Mahal

Finally able to take a proper photo of the famous Hawa Mahal. (Palace of the Winds) It has now lost its bamboo scaffolding that encased it last August. (See entry 2007)
On Monday morning, Christine and I flew to Jaipur from the new Bangalore airport. Before this, we spent the day catching up with the Bennie family- now with two children.The last time I saw them was at their wedding in 2002! We travelled on one of India's budget airlines, Indigo. The plane was brand new and all went very smoothly, apart from some particularly itchy mosquito bites that swelled up into tight fluid filled blisters that smarted like wasp stings throughout the flight!

In Jaipur, the weather continued to be wet, but thankfully, was much warmer than Mysore and Ooty. We went to the beautiful Amber Fort, Tiger Fort and the Maharaja and Maharanis' Cenotaphs. These proved to be very difficult to find, even though they were stunningly beautiful and historically important. (Not even the local police could direct our rickshaw driver to them, despite them only being a quarter of a mile away.)


We managed to get soaked to the skin and filthy dirty in all the mud, dung and pollution, but had a great stay at the lovely Madhuban Hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Lake PalaceLake Palace
Lake Palace

With bamboo scaffolding
The path up to the Tiger FortThe path up to the Tiger Fort
The path up to the Tiger Fort

The clouds gathered as we walked up to the Maharaja's Hunting Fort
Soaked to the skin!Soaked to the skin!
Soaked to the skin!

A rather unflattering photo...


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb