Mysore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
August 9th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Mysore on the first leg of our journey to Bangalore airport. I had forgotten how varied the landscape was on this side of the Nilgiri Hills. One minute desert with cacti and termite mounds and the next moment, jungle, tiger and elephant reserves and huge banyan trees, sadly uprooted to make way for a new, broader highway.

Meeting up with Zena again, we all stayed at the Ginger Hotel - an Indian version of a Travel Inn! Clean and modern but not very atmospheric. Unfortunately, the weather was surprisingly cold and rainy. Still, we managed to see the Palace lit up at night, go up Chamundi Hill and visit the Summer Palace - The Lalitha Mahal - now a slightly run-down but nevertheless regal hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Nand the BullNand the Bull
Nand the Bull

Lord Shiva's vehicle
Corridor at Lalitha Mahal HotelCorridor at Lalitha Mahal Hotel
Corridor at Lalitha Mahal Hotel

The Maharaja's Summer Palace
Garland MakersGarland Makers
Garland Makers

These are used to greet special visitors and at weddings
Park Lane Restaurant menuPark Lane Restaurant menu
Park Lane Restaurant menu

My favourite garden restaurant has been revamped and is now five times the size, and indoors. The food is still delicious even if the atmosphere is less peaceful. Best of all, the hilarious extras on the back of the menu still exist. (See number 6 which advertises free vomit bags for diners!!)


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb