Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
August 16th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 10 secs
We spent the day in Jaipur, the capitol of Rajasthan. We've seen some fairly impressive things here. Upon arrival last night we ate at the OM Restaurant, a revolving restaurant (like the Space Needle, but it seemed more exotic because we are in India). It was the nicest restaurant we've eaten at in the last 11 weeks and we almost forgot how to act in such a place. I realized half way through my meal that I hadn't even placed my linen napkin on my lap (many of our meals in India haven't even included a napkin). Today we visited the City Palace and made the hike up to Nahragrah Fort which sits high up top a hill overlooking the city. Both places were great to visit.

That said, the city is (yet again) unbelievably foul. Both cows and people defecate along the roads creating a nauseating stench. Every ten steps I smell urine. The streets are covered in trash. No one cares where they put their rubbish. I saw a man throw a cup on the ground today when a trash can was only 15 feet away. I don't understand why no one is concerned by whether or not
The World's Largest Silver ObjectThe World's Largest Silver ObjectThe World's Largest Silver Object

Weighs 1200lbs and can hold 1000 gallons!
their city is clean. There is zero pride.

And of course we are never left alone. The touts are constantly bothering us, no matter what we tell them. Begging children are absolutely relentless; they follow us no matter how stern we are. I realize that it sounds cold-hearted to turn away a child, but you have to experience it to understand. People practically make a business out of sending their kids out to beg. While stopped a traffic light today, two children got out of their parents' car to ask us for money.

In other news, Brad is very sick. We suspect a lassi made with unpasterized milk is the culprit. Vomiting (and, um, other undesirable symptoms) have him bed ridden. Unfortunately he has to nap on the coach of a seedy internet cafe at the moment. Our train for the next city doesn't leave until 2:30 AM tonight. We're killing time at the only place in town still open.

Also - camera number two is broken! The LCD screen was smashed so we can no longer see what we are taking a picture of (hey, at least I can take pictures though!).



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Decorative Gate at the PalaceDecorative Gate at the Palace
Decorative Gate at the Palace

This one represents spring. The guard was not amused by the picture taking.
Gate in the Old CityGate in the Old City
Gate in the Old City

Look at the foreground.
Just Your Average SidewalkJust Your Average Sidewalk
Just Your Average Sidewalk

Right in front of the palace. You can't fully comprehend it without the accompanying putrid smell.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb