Numbered Kneeling Platforms


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
September 17th 2005
Published: November 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

This morning I woke up bright and early for a 7:00 AM yoga class on the roof of my school building, where I welcomed the sunrise with asanas and chanting. Then, at 8:30, I met with my Kathak guru, did a little puja over my new ankle bells, and got to dancing.

Ahh, India.

I accompanied my host family to 2 Jain temples today, the last day of a 10-day religious fast that has been going on since I arrived here. As the 5 of us piled into their little red hatchback, my hostfather, Mr. Patni, pointed to a small print hanging from the rear view mirror, featuring a sylized broze figure seated in the lotus position.
"Annie!" Because Hindi speakers are accustomed to pronouncing every sound represented in a word, the Patnis interpret the silent e in my name to mean that my formal first name is "Annie." I don't correct them.
"Annie!" Mr. Patni says in his usual forceful-but-kind broken English, "this is our god, Lord Mahavira."
And then Divik, my host brother, asks me, "What is the name of your god?"
Hmm. Good question.
"Umm...just 'God'."
"So that means you believe in all gods?"
Interesting conclusion.
"Yeah," I reply. "I guess I pretty much do."

The temples were beautiful, but not ornate like elaborate Hindu temples. The first consisted primarily of white marble everything, the main focal point being 3 stylized nude statues of men with, among other characteristics, droopy earlobes. I remember from my Intro to Buddhism class that these are one of many physical signs of the Enlightened One in various Eastern religions. In fact, the way the list of holy features plays out, Enlightened Ones are supposed to be pretty strange looking. Maybe their odd appearance detracts from a fulfilling social life, thus allowing them plenty of time to meditate in seclusion, in the desert and under banyan trees and the like. Anyway, these statues, as Mr. Patni told me, represent the first, middle, and last of 24 godheads/prophets recognized by the Jains. Unlike Christians, who have had one savior and are waiting for one more, the Jains have a history of coming across saviors every time they turn around. However, they're apparently going through a dry spell, because they haven't found one in 2500 years.

I felt a little awkward and out of my element in the temple, and all I could do was follow the family's lead: bow when they bowed, walk where they walked. They silently handed me fistfuls of dry, sweet-and-starchy smelling basmati rice, with nuts and rupees mixed in, and I followed their lead in dumping this mix onto small tables situated in front of various icons. Indians treat their gods as they would their beloved grandchildren; they offer food and small, shiny denominations of money. I stopped in a Hindu temple a couple days ago and watched children and adults alike stick little bits of sweets onto the mouths of pictures of various gods. According to the Judeo-Christian perspective, God feeds with us manna from the heavens; but as far as Hindus and Jains are concerned, it's God who deserves a little sustenance.

Truly, the entire Jain temple atmosphere felt pretty far removed from my own experience. I had decided to sit down on a marble staircase next to my hostsiblings, so as not to make any false moves, when I made a miraculous discovery:

The kneelers were numbered.

Small wooden kneeling platforms, stacked in the corner for the determined worshipper who planned to be there for a while, had numbers sketched haphazardly on their sides in red permanent marker. I imagined worshippers occasionally walking away with these handy little wooden stools. I pictured a tired temple administrator sighing, "Hey Rakesh? Now number 72 is gone. That's the third kneeling platform we've lost this week!"

The sight of those marked-up kneelers reminded me of all the mundane, utilitarian religious technicalities I have had dealt with during my own experience with the Catholic Church: adjusting the volume of a cantor microphone, counting collection money, commenting on the differing tastes of communion wafers at various parishes. At the most basic, earthly level, this is the stuff that places of worship are made of. It's the dusty underbelly of religion, the part that regularly has to be tidied up with a sheet of paper-towel and some lemon-scented Pledge.

Chicago Catholics believe in Jesus, the Son of God who rose from the dead; Jaipur Hindus worship innumerable colorful manfestations of God, one of whom has the body of a man and the head of an elephant. Yet the truth is, whether you're building a Church or a Temple, you've still got to take into consideration where you're going to put the bathroom.

Yes, India is a whirlwind of saris and camels and a monkey-god. But mostly, India is filled with people. And that's not foreign to me.



Advertisement



20th September 2005

Anne!
Anne, you are great. This entry was so amazing. Thats all I really have to say. I was so excited to see what you are up to, and now I'm just in awe of what you have been up to and your brilliant thoughts. I miss you. Keep up this journal.
21st September 2005

Jain Explained
Anne, I read with great interest your entry on the Jain temple. As I may have told you, the dean of Kellogg is a Jainist (Dean Jain!), and because he's such a great guy, I've been curious about his religion. I did a little reading, but your explanation brings the rituals much more to life. I love reading your journal. You definitely have the McNamee writing gene (and I suspect some from your mom, too!). Namaste, Deb
23rd September 2005

this made me think of you http://www.explodingdog.com/january2/iwillmissyouwhenyo.html hope you can get that. and so far your trip sounds amazing. i am jealous.
25th September 2005

Hi Anne
We are enjoying reading about your experiences. Your descriptions of India are wonderful ~ we could almost smell the temple and see the kneelers. Thanks for the updates ~ enjoy every minute of this experience. We look forward to reading more.
26th September 2005

Yeah.
Last year my roomate was reading some things for her course on world religions. One of them was the story of the Buddha's birth. It said, and I quote, "...and his testicles were receded like that of an elephant..." Yeah, I guess buddhas and saviors are supposed to look kinda funny. PS-- I miss you oh so very much. Please don't get eaten by a tiger. PPS-- Are peacocks from India? I think they must be, right? They look Indian. I love peacocks. One time I was chased by a peacock at Brookfield Zoo. Tell your host family that, see what they say. Do you talk about Sparkle Motion?
27th September 2005

You're right, Anne (Annie), it is starting to feel like fall in Chicago. The air is cool and the Cubs have tanked and the Sox still could tank. Better send your mom a consoling note if that last one happens. All Mount Greenwood will be in mourning. I'm trying to figure out who's luckier — you or your host family. love, tom
2nd October 2005

Anne, I agree that you have great talent as a writer!! Your descriptions allow the reader to quickly visualize and feel the emotions of India. I haven't had much interest in India before--I'm much more an Inuit whaling village type of person. But I must admit that I am becoming fascinated. I find myself wanting to ask the Dunkin Donut workers if they know about your new city and your experiences. It provides me with a new wealth of reasons to respect others. As you know I teach in a predominately Mexican school, but this year will be special because of my new student "Harry" Yang. He is from Beijing, China and desperately wants to be like the other kids. He didn't want anyone to notice that he is Chinese and didn't want to discuss anything about it. He has been here for 2 years and his English is amazing--he's usually the only one who gets my jokes!!! Well, I have a year long project involving 'Harry". We will be comparing Beijing to Chicago (mostly our little Hispanic community.) Next week we will be eating Chinese fried rice with chop sticks and "Harry" will eat Mexican rice with a torn tortilla shaped to serve as a spoon. He is so excited that he has taught the kids how to count and write numbers up to 10 in Chinese and he is now learning Spanish from the kids. I feel very strongly that exchange programs like yours and little classroom activities like mine do so much to help us all respect the diversity of people. And an unrelated comment--the Sox are winning AND it will be 86 tomorrow--I guess I wish I was in India for the next few days. Take LOTS of pictures.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb