The Pink City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
January 29th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jaipur

Agra to Jaipur

So we arrive in Jaipur and finally - our prayers had been answered - thankyou everyone for keeping your fingers crossed - we have a DECENT hotel - thats right you read right, we're actually living it up in a hotel!!! Its clean and everything, even has hot water and toiler paper is provided!!! O the joys!!

And with this new found hot water, i finally wash the linen trousers i have been wearing every day since i got here - yes i do ming, but the state of these Indian streets, i didn't want to infect all my other clothes!!
And yes Sarah, i used the pegless washing line - and this wasn't the first time either - yes thats right readers i have done more than one load of washing and yes the parents are proud, i'm really an independant woman now!!! hehe

So anyway Jaipur, otherwise known as the Pink City - because and heres an interesting Indian factiod for you (o i'm so good to you!) when Prince Charles paid his first visit to Jaipur, the natives painted the whole city pink and laid out pink carpets, as pink is Indians welcoming colour!! But now the city is decidedly terracotta! So there you go!
Spent the day doing a sopt of shopping, visited the City Palace, there is a royal family in Jaipur that actually live in the palace - didn't stop by for tea though! In the palace courtyard there are 2 big 'pots' and apparently they are the biggest pieces of silver in the world - in the guiness book of records and everything!!!
Behind the palace is the Govind Devji temple so went and had a gander - saw a monkey man feeding the monkeys and all the locals coming in for prayers! Behind the temple was some gardens, with beautiful views of the Amber Fort in the mountains and i had some henna done on my foot by a one legged henna artist - how many people can tell that story!!

Went on our way back to the hotel and came across India's answer the James Bond!! We met Sheik or Shrek as he is affectionately known!! He was a real smooth operator, he was a rickshaw driver, with his jumper tied round his shoulders (yes he was a bit of a gay icon!) he certainly came out with some lines! Anyway he was proudly showing off his 11 day old rickshaw, complete with bmw sticker on the rear window!! So we let him give us a lift to the hotel and in the back of this brand new rickshaw were massive rude boy speakers, so on the journey home we got to feel like rude girls with the indian music blearing out of the car!! Well Shrek was a tour guide, so we agreed to take a tour from him when we returned to Jaipur on friday!

Back in the hostel, we sat on the roof terrace with nice cole beer and watched a kool electrical storm with fork lightning lighting up the purpley sky, was quite a sight and then we got to experince out first drop of Indian rain - think it will be our last drop though!!

The evening was capped off my some man mistaking me for an Australian - apparently he always gets the English accent and Ozzie accent mixed up - how strange!! Not so brummie after all then - hey folks!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb