Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
November 14th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived here, very much bleary-eyed, about 7.30am. After being hounded by 2 wee beggar lassies for about 20min as we waited for the bus, with every other native in the queue checking to see how we dealt with them (violence did come in to our minds) we left Udaipur about 10.30pm. The 'double-berth' was a misnomer, and the cramp/pins and needles, constant horn-blowing and speed-bumps combined to provide hee-haw sleep. Still, it was an unforgettable experience, which is what we are here for after all.

After checking in to our (over-rated and over-priced) digs and catching a few z's, we posted home the Xmas pressies we had bought in Udaipur. The Royal Mail may have its critics, but by jings they make sending a parcel so much easier than the service here. One form to fill in triplicate, then the stuff you are sending has to be packaged and sewn up, then the queue for weighing, deciding if it should go by air/sea/elephant etc. Took nearly 2 hours all in to send 2 packages, but hopefully they will make it to the UK for Xmas (2006!). Then went to book train to Agra - another 5am rise to look forward to!

While we were out for a very good dinner, at the roof-top restaurant in the hotel we had hoped to get in, we found another hotel which was much better (i.e. cleaner) and cheaper than the place we were in (though it did not have a chair-swing like the place we were in, much to Ellie's dismay). So, next day we moved, then spent the afternoon escaping the hawkers by going round the City Palace. One thing the Indians do well is build stunning palaces, and this one is better than most as it is not in a state of disrepair. Stunning, intricate architecture, and great displays of weapons, paintings and clothes, spoiled only by an over-priced café - 2 pounds for a sandwich!

As we had an early start the next day, and a quality clean room to relax in, it was back to the digs to rest our weary limbs with room service, some bevvy, and the TV. Bliss!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb