What's to see in Bundi?


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bundi
April 5th 2005
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Walking in Bundi
A town that time has forgot
Really dry and hot.

Our tour guide BJ (nickname something like Bubba?) took us on a walking tour of the new and old parts of Bundi including the Palace and some impressive step wells. Along the way we passed by some market stalls...not just your regular fruit, veggies and clothes. More like the dentist (scary and painful tooth extractions for real cheap), locks of all shapes and sizes, sugar cane juice (freshly squeezed), bangles, nail painting etc.

Bundi is known as the City of Wells. I can't remember how many there are around the city but we saw two of them. One of them was 46 metres deep and is now protected. Not only by a fence but by pigeons and bats too!

As I mentioned, we went to the Garh Place which houses some amazing murals that tell lots of interesting stories. The walk up and down the cobble walkways was quite steep and a bit slippery too. It seemed to take forever to climb up because it was so hot out. But I would have to say the short climb up was well worth it.

After touring around the Palace we had a free afternoon. Some of the girls got amazingly detailed pictures painted onto their thumbnails. There was a lotus with the Om symbol, an Indian woman, peacock and tiger. Betcha this guy could write your name on rice (lol) he's that detailed.

I pretty much just chilled out by sitting outside in the shade with Robyn and chatted with some of the others that were around. Then headed over to check email but they only had one computer that was functional so Robyn painstakingly waited to see if she could get a ticket home to Aussie...about 30+ minutes later it was mission accomplished! Whoo Hoo! Then I "quickly" checked my email. It was kinda weird when BJ showed up and just hung out with us at the internet place. Whatever!

Then at six sharp we took auto rickshaws up to the Palace to catch sunset. So up and down the steep hill yet again for us. The monkeys were out and I got a few photos of the setting sun. I must admit my camera is not the greatest at capturing sunsets but it is always worth a shot, right?

We had a set dinner on the rooftop of a restaurant close to the palace. Great food and I must make note that the dishes were all made out of leaves. Apparently because of the lack of water, making dishes out of leaves helps conserve water...no washing! David, Robyn, Nitin an myself enjoyed a nice walk home. Always nice going for an after dinner walk to aid the digestion process!

Then we started playing Uno. As the crowd got smaller we moved to the upstairs restaurant where we were able to put on some music and Jen and Nitin had a chance to work on some of their dance moves. BJ seemed a bit drunk and was doing his stiff man dancing routine while ultra flexile Rachael did the splits! Yowzer! BJ was so predictable when it came to the "change colour" card. He'd always choose blue! Perhaps it is his fave colour?? So of course it became a running joke.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Don't jump!Don't jump!
Don't jump!

Brian and I had to talk the cow out of jumping....
Painted nailsPainted nails
Painted nails

Top to bottom: Tiger, Peacock, Lotus, Indian Woman.
Sunset in Bundi.Sunset in Bundi.
Sunset in Bundi.

As viewed from the Garh Palace. Not sure if you can see but there's a swarm of wasp-like insects hovering in the photo.


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb