Bikaneer


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Bikaner
October 21st 2006
Published: October 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

i am now in a place called bikaneer on the edge of the dessert in rajesthan. as you heard before we have a car and a very safe and cautious driver called sanjeev and it means we can really see the place in style and comfort! So a 4 hour drive from Mandawa and here we are. Once again its dirty smelly and crazy! we again find a lovely old hotel, the owner has royal blood, his grandfather was a Maharaja, and owns a string of property throughout india.

its diwali today so the place is really busy, but its a great atmosphere seeing all the families out in their best outfits shopping together. infact i've just had my hand decorated in henna to celebrate. not been hassled at all and now that mike is here people leave me alone.

so i finally feel like i am seeing real india........the reason i have always wanted to come here, for the hussle and bussle, the amazing bright colours, the food and drinks, the music and sounds, smells of curry and the fantastic saris the women wear.......i love it!

we are heading to an old fort this afternoon, then to chill at our hotel, tomorrow we are going to a jain temple that is over run by rats. its believed that all the spirits of people buried there are turned into rats so they are sacred. if they run over your feet (no shoes allowes unfortunatly) it is good luck, and if you eat food or drink milk with rat saliva on it even better! not very likly, no wonder disease is rife in india! not even sure if i will go in.....not a big rat fan myself!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb