Delhi to Chandigarh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Chandigarh
February 23rd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We awoke at 5.20am (not your typical holiday time) and made a quick dash for the train. We decided to start from the bottom as it is easier to work your way up than down, so second class was how we travelled. We boarded a rather empty wagon and settled into an early morning Chai (tea). A local fellow passenger was outraged that we were charged triple the going rate for our cuppa. But at 5p a cup we assured him that it was okay. The tea man was very happy!
Our journey then began and we decided second class was not that bad. The train was half empty and plenty of room to stretch your legs BUT that soon changed when we reached our first stop and what seemed like a large portion of the 12million Delhi population started to pile onto the train as it was pulling into the platform. The following few moments were chaos as we both clung to our seats, ladies and children were pushed from their seats, people broke into very heated arguments while we managed to hold our ground. After all we weren't standing after forking out 1.5 pounds for our 5 hour Journey!!!!
We passed some amazing scenery and had a running commentry from our new friend sitting next to us.
So 5hrs later we arrived in Chandigarh. Much slower pace than Delhi and described as the Beautiful City (although it isn't a scratch on the beautiful Palmy "Matt"). We walked around the Nek Chand Fantasy Rock Gardens which is said to be the second most visitted place in India after the Taj Mahal. Very inmpressive!
Our trip seems to be evolving and we are looking at heading further north to Manali tomorrow to do some hiking, but an 11hr bus trip stands in our way.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th February 2008

I'm dizzy already
Hi Is there such a time as 5.20am? Are you on a holiday or an endurance test ? I guess when you get home you will do something like the Coast to Coast for a jog before breakfast .
24th February 2008

Exciting stuff
Glad to hear you finally made it and this blog is a great idea, I have added it to favourites so will be able to relieve my boredom and pretend to be in India with you. Not that living with my boys is much different to that train experience. Can't wait to hear more. Take care
27th February 2008

Wow! So many different "registers". Is your forthcoming wedding a light-year away for you? I am at full capacity to organze for a short time in Australia to attend same, and wonder how I used to manage a bigger adventure. Good ability to delegate, I suppose? "A honeymoon before the wedding" .... Well, u gotta b pragmatic, aye? Take care and enjoy!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb