No its not Manali! Surprise we are in Shimila


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Shimla
February 24th 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just so no one decided to follow us and due to a rather bad feeling about the travel agent that ran the bus to Manali, we had a last min change of plan and took the public bus up into the western Himalayas to a beautiful city perched against the side of the hill called Shimla. We took the public bus over the deluxe tourist bus, other than the full load and people vomiting out the window we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We met a lovely man who joined the bus part way through the trip who works in the local Johnson and Johnson factory (whats its doing in the middle of no where. I would be ashamed to think!!) He asked to shake our hands as he smiled at the idea of a honey moon before the wedding. He was fascinated by what he described as an "Open culture".
Shimila, we have fallen in love with. This rather remote and small city of 145,000 was selected as the summer capital of India in the days of British rule and it is an interesting fact that during this time a fifth of the world’s population was governed from here.
We find the people here sooo much more friendly than anywhere so far and had great fun watching the end of the Australia/India one day cricket match crowded in front of a shop front TV (very close game but one to the Aussies again)
After running through several elaborate plans we have settled on a 3 day guided trek (or tramp) into the Himalayas which will take us into the snow (although Shimla is also not far from the London temp we just left) and finish in a valley blessed with a thermal spring for us to rest our weary legs.
So we will not be updating for a couple of days and have no idea were we will be writing from next as we need something to plan as we shiver in our mountain hut.

P.s. Thanks for the messages and comments as its great to hear from you all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th February 2008

We're following ...
Joe and I are enjoying the break each day as we catch the next update of your adventures..... can't wait to see the photos... love you both.
26th February 2008

So the big question on everyones lips Coddy is "how is your personal gas production after spending almost a week in the land of Tika Maasala??"
27th February 2008

Your blog is better than any TV drama series. Hurry out of those mountains - waiting for the next instalment, along with the rest of NZ. Good old Palmy is still sweltering, Leanne - hope the gold Coast comes up to the mark weatherwise - countdown now.
27th February 2008

Sounds like me and T missed out not going right up north!!!! when you going to post some photos so we can see your adventures unravel???

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb