Driving on the WRONG side of the road...an introduction to India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory
July 7th 2014
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

"Used to say I would go, all I know is I'm back in the world again. Back in the world again, it's the only way to be." - David Grey (Mutineers - Back in the world again)



The heat is the first thing that hits you. A wave of humidity mixed with pollution and sand that engulfs every inch of you. With temperatures in the high 40's (Celsius) during the day, it's hard to believe that people survived here pre-air conditioning. Even the airport is minimally conditioned and I find myself already sweating through my sweater and long pants that got me through the long 24 hour journey to India.

Coming out of the airport, slightly discouraged having just learned that our bags did not arrive with us, my travel companions and I ventured into the strange sweltering world of India. Like vultures, the taxi drivers swooped down to claim their prize. Unfortunately for them, we were well prepared for the onslaught of numbers and men and were able to get a reasonable price for a ride to our hostel. Constantly reminded of scenes from 'Aladdin' and 'Slum dog millionaire', we buzzed through Delhi at 3 in the morning. Even at this hour there were brightly painted trucks, dented cars, and motorcycles zipping by in all directions - unnervingly driving on what we consider the WRONG side of the road (India uses the British system where you drive on the left). Our taxi weaved in and out of traffic ignoring all road signs and car lanes in order to get to the final destination at the fastest speed possible. Although I was concerned for my safety at times I loved the experience of viewing the city before the majority of the 10 million people wake up to start their day.

After the heat, the smell hits you like a wave. It is not a constant nauseating stench but rather transitioning wafts of garbage, body odour and manure. Garbage lines the streets in mountainous heaps and pours out of bins like water. The best you can do is hold your breathe and wait for the stench to pass by. I feel sympathy for the men and women we see digging through the garbage mountains and am reminded of the luxuries we have in Canada. Although there are ranges of poverty and homelessness at home, it cannot be compared to what we have witnesses in India.

The next week (July 1 - 6, 2014) was a blur of vibrant colours, delicious cuisine and constant sweat. We became quite accustomed to the bodily odours and dishevelled personal appearance that accompanied the heat. Our 2 days in Delhi were largely spent calling Air India, calling Air Canada, calling anyone who would tell us where our bags had ended up. Luckily, there were some really incredible people at the Moustache Hostel who helped translate our concern to the Air India operators and who drove us (free of charge!) to and from the airport to collect my bag (my bag arrived in Delhi on Wednesday - the day we left Delhi - but Ting Ting's did not arrive until Friday so they had to send it to our next destination). As Ramadan is currently going on, we were also able to visit the Nizamuddin mosque and experience our first REAL Indian meal with our new friend Omar as he broke his daily fast. On Wednesday, we took a coach bus to Agra. Although we stayed in a hostel with some less than honest owners, seeing the Taj Mahal was well worth
Breakfast at Krishna's PalaceBreakfast at Krishna's PalaceBreakfast at Krishna's Palace

Every morning we enjoyed a home cooked Indian breakfast at our hostel in Jaipur, Rajastan.
the trip. To be mildly spoken, the Taj is stunning. I felt as though I could have spent the whole day relaxing in the shade and gazing up at the magnificence of it's ghostly marble. But, as all things do, our time with the Taj came to an end. On Friday morning, we took a taxi car to Jaipur. Here, we spent some time shopping, getting massages, and hanging out with elephants!

It became quite apparent through our week in India that people from the "developed" or "minority" world are treated like dollar signs. I can think of multiple instances when Tuk Tuk (little three-wheeled cabs) drivers and shop venders increased their asking price simply because we are caucasian. I am also pretty sure that we were scammed out of some money at the hostel in Agra because we are vulnerable and not used to this culture. But alas, it is these misadventures that really show us the Indian culture - good and bad - and that is why we came to India. I am open to the unexplored and unexpected, happy to meet and become closer to new friends, and excited for the adventures to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

RajRaj
Raj

Raj and I getting better acquainted.
Best view in townBest view in town
Best view in town

Our view of the magnificent Taj as we ate lunch on a rooftop terrace.
Elefantastic!Elefantastic!
Elefantastic!

Zenorah and I got to ride Raj, one of the two male elephants, at Elefantastic. Here we see the other girls taking a stroll ahead.
Painted elephantsPainted elephants
Painted elephants

In India, the elephant is a treasure...and a work of art! During festivals and celebrations the gentle giants are washed, groomed and painted to show off their grandeur.
Busy Delhi StreetsBusy Delhi Streets
Busy Delhi Streets

View from the back of a Rickshaw in Old Delhi.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb