How to avoid Delhi Belly


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory
March 18th 2012
Published: March 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How to avoid Delhi Belly!



March20
Hey everyone! Big catch up time again! & even longer by the time we get some WiFi & manage to upload it!

So leaving the Tourist Rest House we’re slightly unsure who was being truthful, the tuk tuk man that worked there saying the bus station was 3km away or the other man saying 15km away for a “good” bus (basically a tourist one instead of a local one where they put your stuff on the roof) but apparently, no, the 3km one will be fine. After paying to get there & just see the local buses then paying more to go to the other station. Long!

11.30 we booked our bus ticket to Delhi, 3.30 we got on it. What did we do in the meantime? We ate peanuts, played cards & tried to work out if our new “friend” who was waiting for his friends to arrive 2hours later, who took our photos & email addresses & was convinced we could sell his shoes from his company in the UK, was dodgey or not. He did ring our hotel for us though to let them know we’d be later than we thought. He then proceeded to call them another few times!? One time asking how much the room was!? After excusing ourselves from the waiting room to escape he then followed us but seemed to disappear soon after us latching on to the only 2 other westerners at the station.

After finding out from a man on our bus where we could get off to get to our hotel (there is no indication at all, even though it is a tourist bus, as to where you are or the different stops available) we were pleased to find there was no one there to recognise us from our “friends” photo & our room hadn’t been cancelled. It’s good to be cautious but when you start to cook up little stories as to what may happen you know you’ve watched too much kidnapped abroad!

Our room was really good & the staff at the Smyle Inn were friendly. Decided to find somewhere to go for a drink, only in India will you have your Bacardi Breezer opened infront of you (so, sealed bottle) & it already be half empty! After getting a new one & Jonny having a small debate with the waiter on what a pint was we went to bed.

After sleeping in & missing our free breakfast we went & got some jam & toast at the same place as the night before. It was really busy on our first visit, so all the people hid the dirt that we were now surrounded by.

I am putting it down to being around all the pollution & my body’s general bad health through lack of nutrition, I was feeling rough,sore chest, sneezing & coughing. (I just keep getting sexier & sexier!) Coupled with the fed up feeling that was getting stronger as I was getting hotter, I decided it was time to hide in our room for a while.

After speaking to both Mothers, one of whom had just had a lovely bowl of porridge, the other discussing their dinner plans, we felt much better. In both ways, one, speaking to family or friends always does. & the other, the more sarcastic approach, oh we feel much better hearing about your lovely food when on the corner of our street there’s a man cooking food next to a urinal.

After laughing about it with both Mums & a good friend who has been in a similar situation we decided to chill. After all, Delhi was never on our list of places we planned to visit so not seeing the sites wasn’t a huge disappointment.

The next morning we got our free breakfast & after declining the offer from the hotel for a Rs.300 ride to the airport & a Rs.600 on the street! We took a tuk tuk for Rs.200 to the airport, we didn’t even haggle! Just looking forward to the airport now at this point.

The flight was fine, stopping in Mumbai for just enough time to let off some passengers & for us to witness the cleaning team swarm on, blitz the plane, then leave to let on the next lot of passengers.

We arrived at our guest house later than expected, but Kumar who runs it was there to greet us. He is very friendly & incredibly helpful, recommending us somewhere for breakfast & in the dark walking us to where we should have dinner, Oceanos and we were not disappointed. Our first proper meal in awhile & it was soooo good! We then went back for a good nights sleep.

Again, because there’s lots to catch up on we’ll break it up into different posts.

So speak soon!xxx

Ps. Oh yeah, my solution to not getting Delhi belly. Don’t eat



Laura

Loladayonholiday

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb