Noise, traffic, smog....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 15th 2011
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 28.6137, 77.1834

Staying in Old Dehli is definitely an assault on the senses but it is exciting and interesting and definitely not for everyone.
We got here very late Wednesday night and got a good nights sleep. Spent all day Thursday 15th wandering around the area of the hotel.
Tara Palace is off the main street - you have to walk down a narrow alley of cycle repair places to get to it. At night of course, these shops are all closed but during the day it is a very busy place. Bicycle parts are used for many forms of transport here.
We walked all along Chandi Chowk, and many of the side streets/alley ways. This area of Old Dehli is like many market/shopping areas in ancient cities, each 'category' has it's own concentration of shops/stalls. So, you go from sari shops and clothing stores to shoes to pots and pans, to nuts and dried fruits, fresh fruits and vegetables, meat and then spices! The spice market is fascinating and the vendors are all very happy to explain what's what and having you taste different things. I am going to stock up on some hard to get spices when we come back through at the end of the trip.
I have never seen so many varieties of pepper and sugar and they are gorgeous to look at, let alone taste.

We visited the Jama Masjid, which is a guargantuam mosque build of the red clay brick that is everywhere here. It has great views of the old city. I had to wear a very birght, very large caftan to 'cover up' - you will love the photos of that!

The food has been excellent. Breakfast at the hotel is either American or India - I am sticking with Indian. We ate lunch and dinner at a muslim run restaurant near the mosque - Kalim's. It is super clean and always busy with both locals and westerners who work in Dehli so we feel good about it. I had 'real' tandoor chicken for lunch - yum! And for dinner we had a chicken curry - hot, hot and a version of naan that was yummy. It was pressed with a veggie filling.

Not ready to try a street lassi yet - maybe after a few more days I will feel braver about buying one. I have heard that they are the best in Jaipur.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Typical street in old DelhiTypical street in old Delhi
Typical street in old Delhi

Not much maneuvering room.
At the mosque - cover up!!At the mosque - cover up!!
At the mosque - cover up!!

This mosque is about the size of 3 football fields and sits high above the old city.


19th December 2011

Yes, this is Richard driving a tuk-tuk.
24th December 2011

Has Brenda seen these?
24th December 2011

pretty

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb