Old and New


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
December 16th 2011
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Humayan's Tomb - main buildingHumayan's Tomb - main buildingHumayan's Tomb - main building

Also called the 'red' Taj Mahal
Geo: 28.6137, 77.1834

Today we hired a car and driver who took us on a 'city tour' most of this was in 'New' Delhi but everything we saw was ancient - tombs, houses of worship etc. It was interesting to see the new part of the city. There is quite a difference. More cars, less bicycles, carts etc. People are clearly dressed for 'western' business.
We visited some very interesting sites. Hamayan's tomb is called the red Taj Mahal and it is quite spectacular. The entire complex was built by Hamayan to house his family and very close friends - there are a total of 160 tombs in the complex. The gardens are being restored to his planned splendor and they must have been spectacular because they look pretty good now. Lots of water features,orchids, pomgranate plants etc. Lots of birds. It makes it feel very peaceful and idyllic.
We also visited the Lotus Temple which architecturally looks somewhat like the Sydney Opera House. It is a modern structure built by the Bahia religion. I don't know much about this religion but they profess to be peaceful and loving of all religions and encourage anyone to come and pray in this amazing temple.
Next stop was the Tomb of Iman Zamin and another major feat of architecture. The main feature is a huge tower, which apparently, from the top you can see The Taj Mahal. It was closed but seems unlikely you could see very far given the smog.
Last stop was the India Gate. This is a war memorial for all Indians who died fighting in any number of wars. There was a ceremony going on so we got to see lots of soldiers dressed up in wonderful parade uniforms.
We had lunch at the Red Onion. Very chid-chic- Indian - very good food.
Then it was time to head to the train station and out overnight trip to Jailsalmer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Will have to add name of this laterWill have to add name of this later
Will have to add name of this later

Incredible tower - unfortunately closed when we were there.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb