Kickin' Around Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Delhi without issue--actually a pretty uneventful flight. We scored exit aisle seats so our long legs were not so cramped in those airline seats. The flight attendant gve us a thorough lesson on what we would have to do if the plane went down (because we were in the emergency exit row) and when we took our new responsibility very seriously, he took an instant liking to us in the form of extra snacks, bottles of wine and pampering. He did not even know that dad and I had formed a plan that if the plane went down, dad would pop the door open and direct traffic (as instructed) and I would tell each person "thank you for flying Air India."

The new international terminal in Delhi is shockingly modern, convenient, clean and easy to natvigate. We were out in minutes with no issue. I remember our last visit through the airport when I could hardly stand to use the women's restroom.

Our hotel in Cannaught Place is very fancy and extremely modern (no doubt Kyle booked this one). It is our litle oasis when we need it. I am particularly found of sitting in our room watching the monkey's come through the neighborhood to steal whatever they can find.

Delhi is as we remembered: suffocating air quality, choking traffic, melodies of honking horns and a disporportionate amount of raw humanity. The frenzy and the chaos is what makes Delhi what it is. There is no question we are no longer in Kansas (couldn't resist!! forgive me)

We are eating like kings and enjoyed the Diwali feast upon arriving. There were fireworks and festivities to celebrate. At breakfast we tried fresh squeezed cuccumber juice--neither of us are huge fans. All meals seemed to be divided into "vegetarian" andd "non-vegetarian" classifications. We are considedered non-vegetarians simply because we eat eggs. Mom will enjoy this: we have found Diet Pepsi at multiple restaurants, however ice is not quite as easy to find.

On our first full day in Delhi, we walked over 12 miles exploring the sites and soaking up the essence of Delhi. Sorry to say, I have not taken even one photo yet...I'm sure that will change very soon. We visited Ghandi's Ghat (where he was creamated) and his memorial. We spent over 2 hours reading about his life story--very interesting.

Wandering was entertaining and educating, but the constant scheming and pressure from people trying to take advantage of us got a little old. At one point there were three men following us and trying to direct us to some shopping, we were polite, diret and clear in our attempts to tell them no, yet they continued to harrass us. We eventually got our point accross and wandered on our way. Welcome to India!

Advertisement



18th November 2012

Good to look over your shoulders a bit. Great words, Valerie, and quite sufficient to get a feel of the experience, but a photo or two wouldn't hurt! I flew through Delhi a couple years ago. They were remodeling at the airport. Part of it was beautiful and part of it was definitely in process. I don't need to tell you, but always helpful to cool the spices with yoghurt!!! Greetings from Oregon. Windy and cloudy here today. Traveling mercies!
18th November 2012

Cucumber Juice?
Total sucker bet. That is like bubblegum icecream, cherry pie, and any desert bought in a gas station! Oh well, you are short a key advisor at this point in the trip, so I can see how this mistake was made. Is everyone in Delhi talking about KSU the way people are here in KC?
18th November 2012

dang it Vals
Well with Lockett and Zimmerman out and Baylor loaded for "bear" we took a whipping. I also blame the sports illustrated jinx and your absence:-). Good news is that Oregon met a team with a defense and lost so with a win over Texas we might have an extreme outside chance if other teams would lose. I suppose Alabama will be back in the mix. Notre Dam looked really good shutting out Wake. They are for real. I can't believe you didn't follow your salesmen to a carpet shop so they could serve you tea and unroll carpets with a flourish for you to admire and hopefully purchase! Kidding of course. Delhi, fascinating for a day or two then time to escape. Nice weather but dry and windy. Nancy

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb