Off to India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Haryana
October 23rd 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Most folks live their lives within the confines of a 12 month calendar that begins in January, ends in December and loosely includes four seasons such as summer, spring, fall and winter. Our family is a little unusual in that regard.

Sure, we abide by the 12 month calendar, but our year begins in September...when football season begins. In lieu of champagne toasts, black-tie affairs and resolutions, we kick-off our year with tailgate parties, poll projections and parties where everyone sports team wear.

We also have four seasons, but we call them Preseason, Regular season and Bowl season. Once football season ends, we enter the stark, cold season of hibernation. This is when the only thing to look forward to is Next season.

So if you follow football even a little bit or have met anyone remotely related to my family you know 2012 happens to be The Season...as in great success thus far for the K-State Wildcats. Everyone's dreams have been coming true...KSU beat KU (any everyone else we have played to date) and we are ranked #1 in the country. Nirvana.

It probably doesn't seem like it makes too much sense for us to be half-way around the world during The Season, except that it does.

We left the purple Flint Hills of Bill Snyder Kingdom for the vast desert of Rajastan with a purpose--a purpose that can only be met right now. While K-State fans are crossing things off their Bucket Lists, (#1 BCS ranking...check; Heisman candidate...check; Sports Illustrated cover...check) we are crossing somethings off our Bucket List.

Every year (only during this particular time) tens of thousands of camels converge upon a small holy town in India for two weeks of festivities and ever since the early days of my love affair with camels I have dreamed of being there...right in the middle of the action.

There were heated family discussions about when and where to go on our next trip and we settled on this important Bucket List item. The timing is rotten, but we didn't know what else to do. We considered waiting until Coach Snyder retired and then we considered the spirit of the Bucket List.

I am not sure Snyder has coached a game without my help from the stands, but I trust he can handle it. Besides, a K-State tailgate party in the desert near holy sites with camel herders couldn't hurt...

Advertisement



15th November 2012

Go Cats!!
Never fear, we will cheer on the Cats for you with all the fervor you would exude were you there yourself. We will beat Baylor. We will beat Texas. Then we will wait patiently for you to return so that we may make plans for traveling to Florida in January. Have a great time and keep us updated, as we know you will! Love.
15th November 2012

safe travels!
Have a great time! Looking forward to your blog.
15th November 2012

Yea!
I am so excited for this blog! I loooove that you guys do this when you travel...I get to live through you! Don't worry....Snyder has your spirit with him, and it doesn't hurt to have cheers heard from around the world.
15th November 2012

YESSSSSS!!!
I have been waiting for this vaca!! Can't wait to read all about your adventures. Totally vacationing with you vicariously.
15th November 2012

So excited!
I'm so excited to follow your journey!!
16th November 2012

wish I were there!
I envy you the next 3 weeks! We loved India and hope to go back in the next few years. Any chance in your itinerary of seeing tigers? Gives me goosebumps just remembering those beautiful felines!! l will hold you personally responsible if the Cats lose Saturday.:-). Nancy
16th November 2012

It's been too long between trips!
Looking forward to "following" you around in India.
16th November 2012

Makes good sense
I am so happy for you - KState is having an amazing season but there will be more for you enjoy when you return - the opportunity to do something you have always dreamed of is precious and you are so wise to make it happen when you can - I hope it is everything you want it to be

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1857s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb