Historical Pictures of Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello! I got my hands on some historical pictures of Delhi so thought I'd scan them if anyone is interested.


Ok, Ok, I am just kidding. I was actually feeling bored and restless on the 11 hour bus ride from Amritsar back to Delhi and so decided to get creative and check out the Sepia function of my camera for the first time. It occurred to me that many scenes in India look as if they are straight from the pages of a historical magazine, and the sepia function makes it look all the more real. Check out the pictures. I think you'll agree that, at first glance, they don't look like modern day at all!

At least it gave me something to do on the bus journey - thank goodness for digital I say!

So that concludes our time in Northern India. Again, it was full of ups and downs, as is always the case with travel here. One minute you are being scammed and stared at and feel extremely frustrated, the next minute a complete stranger does something unbelievably kind and you are on top of the world. It really is a land of contrast! While I will not miss the scam artists and the hectic filthy cities, I will definitely miss the friendliness and innocent curiosity of the random stranger (e.g. the locals who are not in the tourism industry) and of course the cows! How can any civilized nation eat cows?! They are the most placid, docile, and harmless of animals - we should start a movement (or is that mooovement?!) to stop eating cows! Afterall, there is absolutely nothing wrong with cottage cheese burgers!!!

Next leg: South Africa, Malawi and Zambia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rush hourRush hour
Rush hour

(It's always rush hour in India)
Carving a big block of ice Carving a big block of ice
Carving a big block of ice

(in the days before refrigeration!)
The bus stationThe bus station
The bus station

Note all the people sitting on the roof of the bus
Not sure what this is, but it looks old!Not sure what this is, but it looks old!
Not sure what this is, but it looks old!

(just ignore the modern cars in the background!)


18th July 2008

photos
hey i love the photos - think they would look wicked stretched on canvas. whats after india?
22nd July 2008

REPLY TO "PHOTOS"
Hi Michelle, We are in your old turf right now, South Africa, going to Kruger Nat Park tomorrow - can't wait! We just picked up our cute blue VW Golf and plan to set off at rediculous O'Clock tomorrow!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb