Whistle stop tour of Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
April 8th 2008
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Red Fort, DelhiThe Red Fort, DelhiThe Red Fort, Delhi

Also known as Lal Qila
Today was the last day of the section of the tour with the originals and the start of the new section with what turned out to be just four new people.

As we didn't have much time in Delhi we quickly settled into our new hotel and then went off to try out the new Metro (being built for the Commonwealth Games in a couple of years time) all on our own - Manu had to meet and greet the new people. We headed straight to the Red Fort, a massive fortified building with beautiful buildings and gardens (which should have had amazing water features but while we were there they were dry!). After enjoying this amazing site we decided to go to look at the largest mosque in India, the Jama Masjid. Unfortunately we had timed it badly as it was closed to non Muslims for 3/4 hour while prayers were going on. We decided that the short amount of time we had in Delhi couldn't be wasted waiting in the baking heat so headed towards the newer district of Delhi, centred around Connaught Place. The map was deceptive. We tramped for ages down a very busy road in extreme heat when a disagreement arose concerning the direction to go in. So we decided to break off into two groups, Matt, Janine, Carl and myself going for the Tuk Tuk option and the rest perservering with the walking option. As soon as we got going in the Tuk Tuk we realised how far away Connaught Place was and started feeling a tad guilty at leaving the others to get lost in the maze of streets. This guilt quickly disappeared as we found ourselves a swish restaurant on the inner circle (Connaught Place is a series of three rings with radial roads going off from the landscaped circular centre area - under which is the Metro!) to have a posh lunch in. It was very good food and the toilets had toilet paper AND soap AND hand driers!!! We found out later, back at the hotel, that the others had got themselves a tuk tuk very soon after we left them and were fine.

Back at the hotel we got introduced to our four new people and went out for a meal together. There was Morven (Scottish lady), Tim and Jen (brother and sister from Leicester) and Tara (Australian - but had been living in UK for three years). Although strange to have new people in our little group it was also nice to welcome them and start the tour afresh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tree inside the Red Fort, DelhiTree inside the Red Fort, Delhi
Tree inside the Red Fort, Delhi

Think it's a Pipal or Bodhi tree.
Delhi metroDelhi metro
Delhi metro

It runs underneath Connaught Place


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb