Delhi - A baptism of fire !


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » New Delhi
October 31st 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Delhi airport was manic and i think just getting our bags was an acheivement. We set off to find a taxi and to then find the hotel i had booked in an area of Delhi called Pahar-Ganj. I knew from the book that it wasn't going to be the prettiest.

We got there eventually, the traffic at roundabouts ( and generally everywhere ) has to be seen to be believed , chaos is sometimes not enough to describe it . Our driver stopped and said he would show me to the hotel which was up a tight alley. I struggled to open my door as there was a cow next to the taxi ! I walked 20 yards , already a stray dog had taken a fancy to me , and thought 'turn around driver !'

Thinking about it now he had probably taken us to a dodgy spot knowing that i wouldn't want to stay there and then he could take us to a hotel of his choice for commission. The hotel of his choice wasn't exactly great but it was still cheap enough and close to the city centre.

We threw our bags in and then went out to explore. It was hard work ! Everybody wants a piece of you and we might as well have been walking pound signs. We started to get fed up quite quickly with every shop owner , taxi/rickshaw ( tuktuk) driver , travel agency trying to get business out of us. We needed to book train tickets and a flight, consulting the lonely planet bible we gave in for the first day and settled for beer and food, knowing we had to do it early the next morning.

We decided to head out of Delhi the next day , 36 hours had been enough !! So off we headed off on the sleeper train to Jaisalmar which would take 20 hours !

With no sightseeing done , pictures of Delhi are not that great !!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

first roomfirst room
first room

looks better than it was !
sleeper trainsleeper train
sleeper train

it got a lot busier !


31st October 2007

Moaning
You seem to be fishing for sympathy from us workers back home.If you want to change places and come and live in South London for 6 months while i sup lager whilst doing no work then be my guest. I'm missing your phone calls Steven,disturbing my viewing of Hollyoaks whilst you were stuck on the M1! Anyway, as you know it's my birthday this weekend so 11 of us are off to Southampton, including your little brother. Should be fun. Glad you've touched base, see you in NZ next March if I can bring myself to miss Burnley away...

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb