Bikaner to Delhi


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Overnight trainOvernight trainOvernight train

This was our first overnighter, and enthusiasm levels were low - particularly as we could not get an air-conditioned carriage. We managed to secure top bunks which allowed us some respite from the mayhem below, and the journey went relatively smoothly.
The overnight train was not the most uplifting journey experienced (but it was on time - 19:40). We had a 2nd class non air conditioned carriage, and the uppermost bunks which mean't we were out of the way from the arguing Indian families below, but it was very hot. We generally just sweated and tried to sleep for most of the 12 hour journey.

Arrived at Old Delhi train station at 07:30, and got a taxi to the Metropolis hotel in the Paharghaj area of Delhi. We secured a room with a balcony, freshened up, and made our way back to Karol bagh for a suit fitting with our tailor.

Due to the bombing's in the southern city of Hyderabad, we were advised by Raju not to visit the Red Fort and nearby Mosque. It was then that Raju informed us that our journey to our next destination (Haridwar), was infact that same evening, so we didn't need the hotel for the night (having a plan is good, but knowing what it is, is even better!). So with not much else to do, we decided to fill the day (and our bodies), with Kingfisher. We made our way to Connaught Place (not square as we originally thought!), and found The Regency Blues restaurant bar. We sank several draught Kingfisher's and then returned to the hotel for forty winks, in readiness for another overnight train ride!

Made our way to the train station and had a bite to eat in the 'Comesum' restaurant - it had magician's and a Charlie Chaplin look-alike.....interesting! The train was on time again, so we boarded at 23:15 - luckily we have secured air conditioned carriage's for the rest of our travels. Had top bunks again, and managed to sleep for most of the journey, arriving at Haridwar at 04:30.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb